1855 Liberty Seated Dime - clash and crack

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by nesvt, Dec 30, 2004.

1. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I just picked up this 1855 Liberty Seated dime. It's the only Liberty Seated dime I own. It looks like it's been severely cleaned. Sandpaper may have even been used near the date! It was pretty cheap and I bought it because of the errors.

It looks like it was struck slightly off center. Less rim on the lower obverse than the top.
    The reverse is clashed. The outline of Liberty's body can be seen on the right side of the reverse.
    There is a huge die crack on the reverse... running from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock (from the M in AMERICA to the N in UNITED). Part of the E in ONE is missing. Lots of extra silver from the crack.
    Several letters on the reverse are doubled near the outside rim (TES OF AMERICA).

The scans and photos aren't the best, but I'd welcome any and all opinions. I'm curious if these types of errors were common and what value it might have.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Looks as if the date had some nic-o-date used on it.
    There was an earlier thread about what it looks like. That is what it looks like.
    Other than that, the die cracks are well defined. Can't make out the clash in the pics, but my eyes aren't what they should be ;)

As far as is this common? Many of the 19th century coins suffer from many problems. Die preperation was nothing like it is today. Dies were used until the features just wouldn't strike up any longer.

Can't really see the doubling either. It could be worn dies. As this die was obviously near the end of its life, that would be my first guess.

BTW...Great Pics!

4. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I guess I should have said HALF DIME... and there is no missing part of the E in ONE... it's an F in HALF.
    Getting more coffee....

5. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

You think your eyes are going bad? I missed the clashed obverse completely! Both sides are clashed. I added some pictures.

The DBL picture shows what looks like doubling on the top and left of the letters. Looks much better in person.
    The CLASH_OBV shows the obverse clashing on both sides of Liberty.
    CLASH_REV shows the reverse clashing... the shield can be seen between the H and A of HALF. The line from her body can be seen above and below the F in HALF. The F looks like an E because of the die crack.

6. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Much better. I can see the clashing. Now you have the absolute golden chance to impress all that read this forum.
    Is this clash from the same two dies used on this coin, or from two seperate clashes?

The doubling sure looks like a worn die to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted