1854 Huge O Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jivinivan2002, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

Is anyone framiliar with this coin?I am trying to find out if it is the real McCoy or an altered coin,This is my first visit to this forum,Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum jivinivan, Is there any way you could post a pic??

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum.
    Knowtracks is right - without a picture we can't give you much help.

According to the picture in the Red Book, the "Huge O" mintmark is just about the same size as the "D" in "DOLLAR", compared to the normal New Orleans mint mark, which is considerably smaller than the letters in the denomination.

A good, clear picture is really necessary, as it can be tough to determine whether something like that has been altered.

5. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

Yep on the posting of a scan,tried when I first posted but file size was too big,I'll go to smaller DPI and try again,Thanks

6. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

O K Here are 2 scans obv. and rev.Hope this works

Attached Files:

7. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

It appears to me to be real, but than again I'm NO expert. The Red Book shows an example of a 54 Huge O & they look identical, the tilted O that crowds the top of the R to the point that it's missing. VERY NICE COIN !!!
    Dave

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It does appear to be genuine, but with a coin like that it needs to be certified to be sure.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes that is the Huge O variety. I have seen regular coins sold as huge O, and I have seen a couple altered ones, but I have never seen a counterfeit one. I would say this one is almost certainly real.

10. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

Thank you (and the others that replied) I guess the next thing for me to do is have it certified or slabed (maybe they are one in the same??) but I know nothing about how to go about doing it,can I get any help from anyone here?,I'll keep an eye open for any reply and I'm sure I'll have more questions.Thanks again to all.

11. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

Thanks for your reply,I know nothing about getting coins certified or slabbed,I have heard of PCGS and SEGS but I have no idea where to start,I live within driving distance of St.Paul/Mpls.MN. is there any chance of finding a reputable place there?I bought the coin from a stamp and coin shop in St.Paul a couple years ago,I guess the dealer knows more about stamps than coins since I got it for $15,but I don't have room to talk,I had no idea what I was buying either.Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The coin is damaged, so even if genuine and it likely is, most of the grading companies will not slab it. But you can send it to ANACS and they will authenticate and slab the coin - Click Here

13. jivinivan2002

jivinivan2002 New Member

Thanks for the info,I've already taken a look at the site and it looks like what I wanted,I'll do a little more research first.You've been a great help Thank You. Scott

Draft saved Draft deleted