1851 Indian head dollar coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mastrehalo, Nov 3, 2006.

1. mastrehalo

mastrehalo New Member

what do you guys think

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mastrehalo

mastrehalo New Member

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

we would need some photos to be able to know what the grade is so we could find the value.

Speedy

5. Speedy

It looks fake---can you post a photo of the back...lately there was a output of these fake coins out in CA I think it was...

Speedy

6. mastrehalo

mastrehalo New Member

coin better pictures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/mastrehalo/1851.jpg

hehe i found a better way to take pictures..

would you tell me signs of fakeness?

I bought it for 15 bucks from a guy that comes to my convenience store to buy beer..

he says he found it under a house, he works in construction.

7. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

I my opinion it has to a fake because I cannot find any listing of an "Indian Head Dollar".

I take that back. It has to be some kind of novelty coin. In order to be a fake there must be a genuine article and there is none. To my knowledge!

8. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It is absolutely a total fake. The lettering is all wrong and there is no design like that on U.S. coins. Its what is called a "fantasy" piece. The indian is the same design as an Indian head cent.

Totally bogus and worth about .50 cents.

Bill

9. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

10. Check_M_All

Check_M_All New Member

Well, beyond what has been said about the fact that this design was never produced, there are a some other "tells". No US coin would say United States of America on both sides. The use of two different font styles is a design no-no... it's been done (bicentennial quarter for example) but not often. There has never been a dollar coin minted in the US (with the exception of the Bicentennial Eisenhower) that did not have an eagle on the reverse. If it was produced in silver, it may have some value by weight... or it may even be desirable to collectors of fantasy pieces... there is someone to collect just about anything.

11. Check_M_All

Check_M_All New Member

To expand a little more... I for example would consider buying a "coin" like that if it were silver and the price was reasonable... simply because I love the Indian Head design and it would be much easier to see on a larger, lighter colored dollar size coin than on the little one cent pieces...

It's a shame that someone tried to pass this off to you as being real. I work in construction as well. I have only picked up a real interest in coins this year. As such, I can tell you very truly that had I "found a coin like this under a house" a couple of years ago, when I knew absolutely nothing about them... you would have been the last person I would have taken it to. The first thing I would have done is to find a dealer who could tell me if it was worth anything.

12. Speedy

13. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    I think This fantasy piece was intended to mimic a One Dollar Gold Piece. They did not have an eagle on the reverse on the types that had a wreath design on the reverse of the coin so that statement is not accurate.

Have Fun,
    Bill

14. Check_M_All

Check_M_All New Member

Ah... my bad. I'm assuming silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted