1848 Frankfurt

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by regandon, Nov 25, 2009.

1. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Just got this piece and wanted to show you guys. I love the obv. design on this 2 Gulden coin. I do believe it would grade MS-62.

1848 was the year of Revolution in most of Europe. Click on picture to make larger.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Another beauty with a clean strike. Are you sending these to be graded?

4. regandon

regandon Senior Member

I will be sending this into NGC.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Why a double headed eagle in Frankfurt, Germany ???? Traci

6. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Frankfurt was a Free City in Germany and is also known as Frankfurt am Main. It is located on the bank of the Main River. The writing on the reverse of the coin has the name of Archduke Johann of Austria. In 1848, the Frankfurt National Assembly appointed him regent of the realm. After the failure of the March Revolution of 1848, he resigned from this office in 1849.

As to the Two Headed Eagle
    It was used by the Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. Most of the Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire were exclusive Habsburg possessions. This meant that King of Rome or King of the Romans in turn effectively became the designation of the Habsburg heir-apparent. Seeing how an Archduke of Austria was appointed regent, and the son of Leopold II Holy Roman Emperor (1790’s) why not use the Two Headed Eagle of the Holy Roman Emperor. Also, the coronations of the Holy Roman Emperors were held in Frankfurt.

Click on the underlined Frankfurt National Assembly and the other underlines, to get more info. on the 1848 Revolution.
    Picture is of the Banner of the Holy Roman Emperors

Attached Files:

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Thanks Reagendon.... I love to learn. The old German states are pretty confusing to non-Germans. PS - So are the Papal States. Traci

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice coin Regandon, and also a concise and interesting history of the city.
    The area of what is now Frankfurt site was settled by the romans in the the 1st century a.d, primarily in the area which is now called Frankfurt-Nidda, and Frankfurt-Hoechst, on the shores of the river Main. The roman name is not precisely known, but it may have been Civitas Taunemsium. An ancient city with lots of history, as you say, birthplace of the brief spark of freedom and longing for true democracy known as the 1848 revolution. It was mercilessly put down by the ruling nobles, causing an exodus toward America for those who longed to be free.
    Today the city is perhaps best known for its innumerable banks (and seat of the European Central Bank), a city which the Frankfurters refer to as 'Mainhattan'.

another very appealing Frankfurt coin is is 'City View' doppeltaler. It shows the main bridge over the river main, and was minted from 1840-1844. Maybe that will be your next taler purchase?

9. regandon

regandon Senior Member

The City View Taler has a very nice design. When I get to the bank and open my safety deposit box, I will take a picture of the one I have. Also, thank you for the added history Eduard. Frankfurt has a very rich history to it as you already know.

Draft saved Draft deleted