1846 Large Cent -- Grading Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Nov 10, 2006.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Just picked this up from my local dealer. I believe this is the Small Date, but my dealer had it marked Medium Date. I have been slowly putting together a type set and this will be my latest addition. I would like grade opinions and any other comments.

Also, does anyone else see a second facial profile in front the main profile? This picture was taken unholdered at 5X.

Thanks in adavnce!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'd grade the coin XF. EAC would be a bit harder on it, probably in the VF range.

I don't see the double profile, but if you take a larger photo of the date, I may be able to attribute the coin for you...Mike

4. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks Mike!

Here is a closeup of the date and also one of the profile. It almost looks like there is a second set of lips, but I am expert in these at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Leadfoot

Give me a few mins and I'll see if I can identify it... In the meantime, here's the small date example (N-1) from my collection:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

I don't see the doubling.

OT: Ohh and I just ran across a GOLD 1c piece. That's right... GOLD. Well the seller seems to think it is (after he dug it up and cleaned it a rather unpleasant gold color). If you search the Large Cent auctions on Ebay with the term "Gold" you'll probably run across it.

Nice (non-gold variety ;)) cent!

7. Leadfoot

I'm fairly certain your coin is an N-4 variety (Rarity-1). If you IM me your e-mail address, I'll send you a copy of the page in the Grellman attribution guide so you can be sure...Mike

p.s. You are correct, it is a Small Date (the shape of the 6 is the telltale sign). Also, the doubling you're seeing on Liberty's face is strike doubling, and was not a feature of the die.

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I think your coin would grade an xf-45, possibly a 50.

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

10. Leadfoot

As an aside, I question the story included with this coin.

It is my understanding that by the civil war, all the large cents were out of circulation -- this occured with the introduction of the small cent in 1857/8. While a soldier could certainly have been carrying a coronet large cent, I kind of doubt it was lost then -- it probably happened much earlier....Mike

11. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Nice coin sf340flier!

Leadfoot, you'd better watch out. I'd say sf340flier is gonna give you a run for your money on photography before too long. Nice pics!

12. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks tcore...my white balance was a little off on the reverse, but I do admit...I almost enjoy photographing coins as much as actually collecting them!

13. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

Speedy found the gold! Yeah, that was the one. I thought it was pretty humorous.

Draft saved Draft deleted