1826 bust half O-103 R5- question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jako lipo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i have what i believe to be a O-103 busthalf in Au-55 graded by pcgs. Could anyone give me some diagonistics of the variety? I used the coinzip site Bonedigger posted about 2 days ago and the obverse loooks exactly the same while the reverse has many things that are similar. I was just wondering if there is any more diagnositics for it and what it would be worth if it was a O-103 variety in AU-55

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

no responses?

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well, pictures generate more responses. :)

Just about the whole attribution is on the coinzip site. But here is what is in the Overton:

Obv, S7 Upper edge of headband

Rev, 5 recut

Stars mostly sharp S1 is 3/4mm from drapery. 6 is slightly higher than 182

50 C. is 1 1/2mm and low. A-A is 1/2mm left sides of T-I are in line. Stand of 5 is clearly recut. Crossbar lines extend into wings. Line one of stripe 2 extends to crossbar 2.

Take Care
    Ben

5. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Actually, your coin looks more like an O-105 which has an (R3) rating. The point of Star 7 points towards the hair curl instead of the upper headband. One heck of a beautiful coin too.

Take care
    Ben

7. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

do you think since it is R3 it adds value comparing it to just a unattributed coin?

8. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

also if you like the coin without toning then you would love it if i could capture the color of it. I also got a Great deal on it less then greysheet. There is some advantage to beinga a YN

9. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well, just knowing the attribution isn't as good as having it marked on the slab paper and electronically documented like ANACS used to do. A crafty buyer will tell you it's officially unattributed to your face. As far as the value goes I have no idea what it'll do. I just collect them, don't sell them. ;)

BTW, the rarity rating g of R3 indicates that there are 201-500 OFFICIALLY know to exist.

Take Care
    Ben

10. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

so what do you think the value would the coin be? WHat would you pay for it?

11. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'd say it's worth between $500-$700, but I'm an austere fellow and have bought similar coins for less than $250 after looking around for bargains. Try putting it on Ebay with a HIGH reserve and see what happens.

Take Care
    Ben

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ben:
    For the record, PCGS does use Overton #'s:

From the PCGS webpage:

Additional Services

Variety Attribution: PCGS will attribute select varieties. PCGS guarantees all attributions through the Variety Program. To submit coins, verify particular coin is recognized under this program by referring to the list below. You may submit raw, regrade and crossover coins. Do not mix varieties with non-varieties on your form. Click here for frequently asked questions about the Variety Program. Turnaround time is not guaranteed but we will make every effort to return the order in the time specified.

Half Dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers

13. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

My bad, thanks for pointing that out. I'm unfamiliar with all the services currently being offered by the TPGs for obvious reasons, LOL...

Ben

14. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i dont want to sell it I love the coin i was just wondering

Draft saved Draft deleted