1824/2/0 Capped Bust...PCGS BB and Grade Opinions?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Apr 26, 2008.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Hello all,

It's been some time since I posted here...just not enough time in the day. But I'm going to try and recommit to the hobby again.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my recent ebay purchase. I love the coin and and happy with it. I have been looking for one of these for awhile. I know they are supposed to be R-1, but it's tough finding them (at least for a casual collector like myself).

I want to get this slabbed at either PCGS or NGC simply for future posterity. The pics below were actually very well done and from the Ebay seller. I can take more photos if need be.

My question, will the two scratches on the neck get a bodybag? Also, any grade opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Very nice coin. I hope it works (TPGing and all) for you. Some companies are downright anal when it comes to post mint damage/dings, like that small/tiny divot in obverse left field, etc.

Take Care
    Ben

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Why spend the money on a TPG? This coin is what it is. Want more information on it try going HERE Nice coin : )

5. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

It has great details on the clasp. I like it but, I doubt it will get into pcgs or ngc with the damage on her cheek. Still a nice piece though looks XF or AU-.

6. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

I would give it an XF-45, maybe an AU-50 :)

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Neat overdate! Makes you wonder what they were doing that day in the mint....

I suspect this coin will not be slabbed by PCGS/NGC on the first try -- might be for the scratches (which look intentional and post-mint) or the surfaces/toning.

Not to say it's a bad coin, and if I owned it, I would just enjoy it raw or in an Airtite.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck & thank you for sharing the coin with us...Mike

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Can't say - I have seen worse in PCGS and NGC holders, but that does not mean anything. That is a very nice coin!

9. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

The scratches on the neck look a little more prominent than in the picture and are probably intentional as well, but it's borderline.

I normally steer away from slabbing, but I do use TPGs when I plan on keeping my coins long term. I think it would help my wife sell them easier if I kick the bucket. Maybe I'll go with an NCS or ANACS. I'll update this post when I hear back.

Draft saved Draft deleted