1803/ 2004 nickel ?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by focus1320, Apr 21, 2008.

1. focus1320

focus1320 New Member

I dont know much about coins but I found a nickel that is stamped '1803' on one side and '2004' on the other. The 1803 side is tarnished and worn looking. The edge of the coin is in the same condition. It says 'Lousiana purchase' above 1803 and under that it has 2 hands shakeing. the 2004 side appears to be in 'like new' condition and the obverse seems to match its date. The 2004 side would be the 'head' side. I was wondering if this nickel is anything special or if it might be a fake or if its just a regular nickel. my camera isnt ready to do its close up... Thanks
    Jon

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Sounds like it's just a regular nickel that someone took some frustrations out on. Post mint... BTW, welcome to the forum. :) Worth about $.05...

Take Care
    Ben

4. focus1320

focus1320 New Member

Many thanks Ben.

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

No prob... :)

Ben

6. u4ia

u4ia Member

this is the reverse of the 2004 nickel in the westward journey series, sounds just like what you described, just a normal circulation issue.

Attached Files:

7. jenny malin

jenny malin New Member

I have the same nickel as pic. Above, is it worth anything other than a nickel?Jen.

8. Edward Walling

Edward Walling New Member

Yup,i have the same one.KarenWalling

9. Edward Walling

Edward Walling New Member

I BELIEVE,THAT THESE NICKELS ARE RARE TO FIND,IVE HEARD OF THEM.UNTIL YESTERDAY,I GOT ONE. 2004.Louisiana purchase. With hand shakings. With the date on top 1803. Hold on to yours Jon.it will be worth money. Thanks, Karen& ed walling

10. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

I usually refrain form raining on someone's parade, but it will be a long time, beyond the lifetime of anyone reading this post before your nickel is "worth money".

11. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Now I'm devastated because I have un circulated rolls that I put up for the grand kids and they are only worth $2 glad that's all I paid.;)

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  12. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

I think my rolls are also worth $2

MKent likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There are tons of Roman coins with significantly lower mintages, and even lower survival rates, which are only worth a couple of dollars. They are 2000 years old. "Long Time" here is hyperbole for "never."

Beefer518, carpman98 and tomfiggy like this.
  14. Koty

Koty New Member

How much are these nickels actually worth? I found one in my washing machine and I thought it was a cool piece.

15. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Yours is worth a VERY clean 5 cents.

rooman9 likes this.
  16. Blue121

Blue121 Member

I have a question..what about the same coin only in a gold plated 2004 24k nickle set shaking hands has 2003. Has 11 nickles total.

17. GaryLomax

GaryLomax I collect, therefore I am

Pictures would always help, but without that it sounds like one of the many "plated" sets that are sold on TV or other venues. The plating is a gimmick, hated and laughed at by true coin collectors. No offense. They aren't worth anything.

18. Blue121

Blue121 Member

Yes...i sure hate that.

19. Blue121

Blue121 Member

Thanku

20. Moonwink

Moonwink New Member

My coin handshake side is backwards. Is that an error??

21. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Pics or it didn't happen

Draft saved Draft deleted