1799 Large Cent for sale on ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gopher29, Jul 7, 2008.

1. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Hey, it's worth a shot! The 1799 Large Cent Grey Sheets at $37,500 in XF. But that coin is severely corroded with only "XF Details". I don't know how much to bump it down because of the corrosion but I would think at least a couple of grades. The coin Grey Sheets at $7,400 in F (about 10% of his opening bid).

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I don't know either, but my guess is it would wind up around EAC 15, maybe 20.

There are some strong Early Copper guys runnin' around here. Maybe they'll throw in a better EAC grade estimate.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'd say that coin might go for upwards of 10,000 to the right person, but this guy has already out priced all potential bidders

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Personally I think Shawn Yancey has better coins and no where near the cost. I think 10k might be right. Then again I think all of the sellers coins are expensive.

7. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

When I see ones over priced like that one, I think it's just someone showing off their coin. The 1799 is extremely hard to find and to actually own one, is something to be proud of. :)

If I had one, I'd be posting it here but maybe the seller doesn't know about us so he used Ebay to show it off? Because at that price, it's not going anywhere any time soon. :rolleyes:

Ribbit :)

8. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I wonder if that coin is a metal detector find. Does it not resemble something that spent quite a few years in the ground?

9. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Talking about being overpriced!! The Seller even has the 1799 priced 5 to 8 times higher than the two 1793's he or she has up for auction.:eek::hammer:

Frank

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do most early coppers look like that ? What makes it like that ? The impurity of the copper or being in the ground ?
    rzage

11. earlyrarecoins

earlyrarecoins New Member

I couldn't find a recent 1799 XF details in the Heritage Archives, but it seems this coin would sell for around $10,000 depending on the variety.

If it was less corroded it might go for $20,000 , but the corrosion is severe.

It would depend completely on how many people are looking for the coin at one particular time.

12. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Mark,

Who is Shawn Yancey? And does he have a website?

Thanks,

Harry

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I just assumed everybody knew who Shawn Yancey is - EarlyCopperCoins.com. :) I look at his web site all the time. Usually he has the rare varieties and he always has some that I want.

14. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Shawn Yancey is a reputable seller and I have bought from him with no problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted