1798 & 1803 large cents - help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by malak1, Feb 19, 2010.

1. malak1

malak1 Junior Member

I've also posted these on another site to try to get some info about variety #s, grade & value. Still looking for info. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

wow, nice coins. Some experts will check in here soon with varieties, but just on first look the 1798 type II hair, stems, AG-3 ish maybe $50-60, without a variety. The 1803 small date, small fraction, stems, VG-8 or F-12, not sure, somewhere over $100.

4. copperflopper

copperflopper Junior Member

The 1803 is a Sheldon 254 nice coin still working on the 98. Ron;)

5. malak1

malak1 Junior Member

Thanks guys for the info. I'm learning more all the time. I'd like to get more into these (large cents) after I get some more time.

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The 1798 is another S-174. There was another one on one of the threads yesterday. I also concur on the S-254 though the better examples have the 3 nearly touching rather than touching the bust. I'll chalk it up to wear.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I was just working thru the 170's. I see the projection on the 1 so yep a 174. I also agree with the price range BQ quoted give or take a few dollars. Nice coins.

8. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I think the 1798 is good enough to grade G-4. It's got a full date and "Liberty" is mostly intact as well. That's hard to find with low grade examples of these early American coppers.

I think the 1803 looks detailed enough to score an F-12.

Nice coppers!!

Draft saved Draft deleted