1794 Gallery Mint Copper Dollar??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bhp3rd, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Does anyone have one of these? I do not want to buy or sell one just asking - It is a large copper 1774 dollar die trial proof that was made by Gallery mint. They were issued in 1999 or 2000 and I think the mintage was like 700 or so but I have never seen one anywhere for sale - for that matter I don't see much of Gallery Mint's stuff anywhere for sale and I am aware what all happened to that project, so sad.

"Searching for info. each and everyday, if I am not I must be dead"

Ben Peters
    K-Town

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

where are you in K-town??? I'm here for the semester!

4. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I'm in North K-Town near Merchants DR. - we have a monthly Coin Show each month of the year - do you know about it?
    Ben

5. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

I don't, but let me know when it is and I'll try to be there. As long as it's not during the summer. Unless I decide to intern this year...we'll see about that.

6. csacoin

csacoin New Member

I have one of the copper 1794 dollars by GMM. I telephoned GMM and some guy answered - I think one of the founders. Anyway, he told me that he was selling me the last one, which may have been the one they were going to keep for their archives. I remember him saying that only 100 pieces were struck. I am unsure of the year let alone the date, but I believe it was 1999.

I have several of the GMM pieces. It is a crying shame that they fell apart after Joe died. They did great work!

I lived in Perry County, Tennessee at that time.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can find most of what you want to know here - http://www.smalldollars.com/index.html#sacagawea

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

001.jpg 002.jpg

Joe Rust's daughter Jennifer is selling at least part of her dad's collection on E-bay. I picked this one up the other day and thought you might be interested in seeing it. It's small (17mm) and is struck on pewter. I won another piece just last night and will post it when I get it. I thought the cowboy hat was appropriate for the Greater Houston Coin Club. It also has edge lettering that says "Gallery Mint".

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted