1794 east india coin value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sourcingindia, Jul 22, 2004.

1. sourcingindia

sourcingindia New Member

DEAR NUMISMATISTS,
    I HAVE A UNITED EAST INDIA COMPANY COIN DATED 1794 with COAT OF ARMS and with the letters 96 below the coat of arms There is no value given on the coin and the coin has the letters united east india company on the rim of the coin too!!!. Is this coin valuable? Please reply to rathiema@yahoo.com

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Can you provide any other info - size of the coin - type of metal ? A pic would be best.

4. Lev

Lev New Member

According to me, you have a United East India Company (Dutch East Indies Company) copper Duit. In 1723 the Company needed small change in the Indies. The supply of coinage there was low since in 1722 the Japanese banned export of copper cash (pitis) which were the main source of coin upto that moment. The Company was forced to look elsewhere for sources of small coin and it produced an extensive series of copper Duit coins struck for their colonies from 1726 to 1794. On the obverse is the balemark of the United East India Company, forming the letters VOC (Vereengide Oost-Indische Compagnie). The reverse design is the coat of arms of the issuing province. 5 of the 7 provinces issued coin for the Indies (Holland, Gelderland, Westfrisia, Utrecht and Zeeland). I don't know from which province yours is, since you didn't attach a picture and I don't remember any to read 96 below the coat of arms. However, I think only the Gelderland province issues have any inscriptions beside the coat of arms. VG to VF grade of such coin should cost around $7.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Before we can tell you what coin you have for sure or what the value is we need to see a photo...of both sides....the photo will help us grade the coin and that will help us find the value.

Speedy

6. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Only A Picture Can Help To Distinguish

between the Duit of the Netherlands rules East Indies (Indonesia) and Netherlands ruled Ceilon (Shri Lanka).
    The Indonesian copper Duits are often much more common than the Shri Lnaka's types/

Draft saved Draft deleted