1788 1 real

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rick, Nov 11, 2004.

1. rick

rick Coin Collector

last week, at auction, some coins came up in a little zip lock bag... not seeing it before it caught my interest, and I ended up buying the small lot for 3 dollars and change...

Most of it was junk, as I expected, but one coin I found was very interesting. I can identify it as a 1 real from 1788, but unfortunately the mint marks around the edge are pretty worn down, so I can't decide if it is spanish or colony...

researching what I could find, it would appear that the 1 real began minting in spanish colonies in 1792, though - which leads me to believe this is a spanish coin... with the exception, perhaps, of Peru.

I hope to get a pick up as soon as I can get a good scan, but the coin is fairly worn, so I'm having a little trouble capturing anything helpful.

Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

The one real has been around as a currency unit (in cob form) since at least Phillip II came to the throne in 1598, and probably before.

Checking my 1st edition 17thC Krause There are cob reals issued in Mexico dated 1607. Undated prior.

Alas, without a scan of what ye have laddie we can say little more.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Rick -

Does it look anything like this ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is a 1/2 reale struck in Mexico 1773. Given the date - your coin should say Carlos IIII or Carlos IV. The design would be very similar though.

Now I don't know what you've been reading as your source info for these coins - but you need to read something else as the info is in error. The first 1 reale coin struck in a Spanish colonial mint was struck in Mexico City at the home of Hernan Cortez ( that's where they set up the mint ) in 1536. I own one, but don't have any pics readily available right now. I can show you pics of a 4 reale struck in 1542-45 - the 1 reale is very similar.

1542-45 Mexico 4 reale obv

1542-45 Mexico 4 reale rev

The other Spanish colonial mints were established not long after the one in Mexico. They had mints in Bolivia, Guatemala, Peru, Chile and Columbia. Anything else ya wanna know - just ask ;) I've collected Spanish colonial coinage for almost 30 yrs.

5. rick

rick Coin Collector

it appears to list carlos III, as well. I think I got a decent picture - at least the best I could come up with.

Like I said before, it isn't in great shape - but it has quickly become a favorite of mine. I think I might get into the business of collecting colonial and spanish real coinage. very appealing designs.

Attached Files:

6. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It's definitely a Mexican from Mexico City. The `M' is very evident after REX (even if the small `o' above the M isn't).

Only one F after 1R is evident to my eyes, so your coin could be either 1788 FM or 1788 FF. You might be able to better tell with the coin in hand.
    At least you know that the Assayer involved was Francisco Arance Cobos (1777-1803) and that it is the bust of Charles III you are looking at.

Ah the joys of discovery!

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You are of course correct. This is another example of me trusting my memory instead of looking it up. The changeover from Carlos III to Carlos IIII did not take place until 1789 - not in 1788 :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted