1776 Continental Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kevincoin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

I recently acquired this coin and don't really know much about it.
    Looking to sell it and was wanting to get as much for as it as I can.

I'm a newbie here and to coins. I've actually had it for a very long time but had it put away and forgot I had it. Again, Ihave no idea of it's worth.

Could someone tell me if I should have this appraised or take it to a auction
    or perhaps sell to a member.

Thanks for any help at all
    Links below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LewR

LewR Junior Member

I would love to have this in my collection - but I doubt it is in my price range - Good Luck with it!!

4. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

It looks like a cast fake, er, replica.

5. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

what the wieght in grams ?

6. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

7. ozarktravler

y

compare your coin to this rare silver cast 1776 variety of the continental dollar.

Attached Files:

8. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

Looks just like the silver one. How can I tell if it's an original or not?

What's the grams on an original vs. replica?

9. ozarktravler

kevin, you can wiegh the coin, the hollow cast copies wiegh about 18 grams,the real ones 26 grams. ... also....carefully, rub the edge on white paper, you should be able write almost as if a pencil. take a good look with magnify glass, you should see cast bubble (tiny speckle holes) WE ALL wish/want these continental dollars to be real and some are. there were thousands of real nice copies made/cast during the 1960ies. Hope this helps, ozarktravler

10. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

Just tried it and it definately writes like a pencil. Also has small pitholes, you can see them in the pics when you zoom them up near where it says Fugio

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are Bashlow( He of confederate cent restrike fame)/Bowers ( the dealer, author, auctioneer) Continental dollar restrikes from 1961
    More on Bashlow http://777customs.com/robertbashlowpage.htm

Here are a group of restrikes:
    \http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1100&Lot_No=29584&src=pr#PHOTO

In considering possibilities, the largest is probably a restrike, cast fake, counterfeit strikes. The smaller is a real one due to small number and length of time. I do have a Bashlow restrike of a "white metal" one.

Jim

12. desertgem

Oh, and I forgot, the Boy Scouts of America did a restrike of the Continental Dollar in 1964, but it was aluminum and had additional celebratory wording and "copy" on it. Still a neat one to get, but not confused with the OP's Dollar.

Jim

13. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

I'm gonna have it weighed tomorrow at work. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So, if this think writes like a pencil, has small bubbles and/or pinholes and weighs in the neighborhood of 26 grams, it's likely a "real one"?

I'll post my findings tomorrow. I can even get more closeup photo's for you all to see if you would like.

Wish someone on here that knew their stuff could come by and check it out.
    Or find a legitimate appraiser that knows coins.

To be continued....

14. desertgem

No. You notice that "currency" is spelled with one "r" on yours and is that way only on prototypes, of which most are unique. Also, according to Breen, they weren't actually pewter ( which contains tin and lead), but 95% tin and 5% trace elements, mainly antimony compounds), so the pencil effect would not apply.

Breen says
    The 1776 Dollars are found with "Currency" and a few "Currencey" ( only 3 known in national collections).

I believe you have a cast lead copy.

Jim

15. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

16. desertgem

Yes, it does. It is a Breen's 1089. I do wish you luck.

Jim

17. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

If that 1776 coin is a fake, it's one of the best ones I've ever seen. If it weighs, I'd have it sent into one of the reputable grading services, and then if I wanted to sell it, I'd put it up at auction. Something like that can get you a small fortune, if real and done properly.

18. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It really looks like one of the copies, but best of luck!

19. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

Could you post a link to these copies. All the links I looked at, the copies were this shiny aluminum looking metal.

20. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Check the links NSS posted on page one of this thread. I am going by all the replicas I have seen in person. They used to be very popular in all of the souvenir shops in historical areas and events.

21. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Having handled a couple of genuine pieces, the original piece is most definitely a cast copy/counterfeit. Too much pitting and lack of detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted