1745 Frankfurt Pattern Ducats

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by regandon, Nov 4, 2009.

1. regandon

regandon Senior Member

I've started to add Patterns to my German States collection. This Frankfurt Pattern is a silver 11/4 Ducats. It is a commemorative.

Year: 1745
    Subject: The coronation of Franz I
    TPGS: NGC MS-62

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for posting another very interesting coin !

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

regandon, I like this one a lot. Any background on this one?

5. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Obverse: "DEO ET IMPERIO" (for God and the Empire), the all-seeing eye of god and regalia of the Holy Roman Empire (crown, sword, orb, sceptres)
    Reverse: "FRANCISCUS HIER[OSOLYMARUM] REX LOTH[ARINGIAE] BAR ET M[AGNUS] HETR[URIAE] DUX ELECTUS IN REGEM ROMAN[ORUM] CORONATUS FRANC[OFURTUM] 4 OCT[OBER] 1745" (Francis, King of Jerusalem, Duke of Lorraine and Bar and Grand Duke of Tuscany, elected as King of the Romans, crowned at Frankfurt October 4th, 1745) and the imperial Crown.

Symbolisms on the coin.

The All seeing Eye of God above the Sword, Crown, Sceptre and the Globe and Cross.

Sword: symbolizing the power of a monarch to use the might of the state against its enemies, and their duty to preserve thus right and peace.

Scepter: A sceptre or scepter is a symbolic ornamental staff held by a ruling monarch, a prominent item of royal regalia. While some sceptres resemble a mace, their use is quite different.

The Cross-Bearing Orb: It symbolises Christ's (the cross) dominion over the world (the orb), literally held in the dominion of an earthly ruler (or sometimes celestial being such as an angel). When held by Christ himself, the subject is known in the iconography of Western art as Salvator Mundi ("Saviour of the World"). It is associated with the sceptre.

The Crown: Crown jewels are jewels or artifacts of the reigning royal family of their respective country. They belong to monarchs and are passed to the next sovereign to symbolize the right to rule.

6. Luis

Luis Senior Member

Nice one! :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted