14 Double Eagles Fetch $280 For Utah Woman

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hobo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Woman trades valuable gold coins for groceries

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I wonder why there aren't any security camera pics of the gal? :goofer:

If they are authentic and not stolen, I feel sorry for her, for being so ignorant. :(

Ribbit :)

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I wonder what Wal-Mart corporate thinks about that comment that Wal-Mart would not accept the coins in payment?

5. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

WOW.......I bet the double eagles are stolen!! She most likely didn't know that they were gold!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to the gas station the otherday and filled up the truck and then went into the store to buy a candy bar and a tea and handed the lady a $2 bill!! She loked at me and then looked at the bill and told he that they could not take the bill and so I left the store without getting a treat!!

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I am willling to bet that her deceased husband told her..I have these coins and one day when you need them, they will be there for you!
    Well looks like she used them... WOW!

Goes to show you folks that we need to educate our families to what it is we have ammased!!
    Always keep records and instructions!!

Hope she gets them back!!

RickieB

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats where my sister lives. I'll have to see if she'd heard anything to follow up on. Poor lady....exchanging a half million dollars for a few hundred.
    Guy~

8. p91

p91 Senior Member

they should review the security tapes @ the bank and find the woman...thats 21k @ $1500 a piece. god bless her

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

How in the world did a situation such as this get out the front door of the bank. The teller gave her face for gold?

I'm thinking the teller felt there was something really wrong with the situation and took the coins into safe hands till it could be figured out. Would love to learn how this all turns out.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

My sister, who lives there, said the police seem to think they were a part of a coin store robbery/murder in 2003. Maybe thats why they can't seem to locate the lady now. She might have known coin shops would be wise to the coins where as a bank or Walmart might not. $300 is better than nothing if they weren't theirs to begin with, I suppose.
    Guy~

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That makes no sense at all. If the coins are stolen and they're raw coins why not take a drive out of town (where the robbery is not well known) and sell them for melt at a coin show or to a few small dealers? Spending them at face is like throwing them away. And it draws attention to yourself (as we are witnessing here).

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Well, I don't know. But I do know the next town with a coin shop is 150 miles away in Las Vegas, so maybe it wasn't convenient. Chances are it's drug related crime, and druggies aren't the best at thinking things through.
    Guy~

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Had she stuck up the bank, I'm sure they'd have that on film. In this case, though, the bank stuck her up. ;)

14. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Later comments on the web sit where the story is indicate that the bank teller was later fired after he exchanged the coins for himself at face value.

15. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I can't immagine being the person at the checkout at Wally-World. I like to think of myself as honest, but there could have been a deal worked out with the lady on the side. I'd also feel obligated to return those if someone reported them missing. Probably better that this type of thing never happens to me.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh they were probably all just Chinese fakes anyway. :D

Here's a serious question. Why hasn't anybody here yet applauded this teller for "cherry-picking" these? Or are there different [let's call them] "ethical standards" when it comes to "cherry-picking" only silver halves, say? ;)

17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Hmmmmm ... Good point.

18. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

makes you wonder.

19. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

i would have paid face! come on!!

20. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Wow, interesting story. I didn't see this on the local news last night. I'll have to watch tonight. Makes me think if I we're the cashier what would I have done?

21. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Considering the wages and benefits most cashiers make, I think it would be hard not to think the unthinkable as a coin collector.

Draft saved Draft deleted