11990 nickel possibly a improperly Annealed planchet a black beauty?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jazzcoins, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Here's a 1990 Jefferson nickel possibly a improperly annealed planchet Black beauty. The coin also has presents of copper on the rim and on the surface. I know these were found in the fifties ,but why not one in the ninties. This coin was not in a fire either.NOTICE THE RIM SOME OF THE COPPER IS PEELING OFF OR NICKEL IS

I just want some opinions on the coin . The coin was found in circulation itls not a ground coin either I had this coin since 1999 and never bothered to look into it . These particular sintered planchets are very hard to detect if they are authentic or not ,one of the hardest errors to diagnose.

I also have some in a brownish color in the fifties a 1950 nickel and a 52 as well with copper on the surfaces as well which i believe are copper washed coins.

I also posted an authetic black beauty slabbed from anacs and my coin to show you how close they really are.What do you think authentic or not the 1990 coin ?

The first pic is the authentic slabbed black beauty
    The first and second and third are my coin 1990

Jazzcoins Joe Alien ZEC

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

its a nice coin but not a black beauty ;)

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Go eyes Joe

Often an overlooked error.the mint normally make a waffle out of them but some how this one slipped out.

5. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

?????

I no sure what type it maybe. but sure look like a wash of some type to me. that just my opinion

8. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Attached Files:

9. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Oh, there it is!

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would have to agree the coin in question is a coin found in the ground. It is not a Black Beauty. And for that matter, the one is the slab is not a Black Beauty either. Still can't figure out why in the world ANACS ever started that - they know better.

This is a Black Beauty -

Attached Files:

12. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Sure looks strange the one you posted i never saw a black beauty like that ever it looks more like an off metal or something I found this coin in the ninties it;s not a ground coin.

Well here's one example of a slabbed coin , just goes' to show you how they slab the error coins wrong and label them wrong. Well it may not be a black beauty but i'm pretty sure it;s an improperly annealed planchet that's all I care about GD. i will wait on other opinions on this I have a lifetime.Thanks for the input GD.

Jazzcoins Joe alien Zec

13. GDJMSP

Joe I have no doubt that you din't find it in the ground. But I'd bet a lot that it was found in the ground. You can search just this section alone and find another dozen or so examples just like it.

As for the ANACS coin, yes they labeled it correctly in that it is an improperly annealed planchet and thus that dark color. But placing the Black Beauty moniker on it - that's just advertising at its best.

When the term Black Beauty was coined back in the '60s it was only the Proofs that were called Black Beauties. But since the coins became so popular and highly sought after, eventually somebody decided to add the moniker to business strike coins as well as a selling gimick because they knew that most people would have heard of the name but would not have clue about its origin and to what coins it actually applied.

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I guess it was just like the doubled die 55 cent had the poorman's 55 with it's worn die's.

15. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well here;s a slabbed improperly annealed planchet my coin has the same color and you can;t tell by the pics. When you look at the rim of the coin the nickle alloy is flaking off and you see a copper color that;s a good indication of a sinterd planchet.

Now if this coin was a ground coin which i know it;s not because i found it in a roll of nickels in the early ninties ,and if it was, the coin should have a corroed look to it maybe green spots from enviormental conditions as rain ,moisture, dirt,etc and there;s no signs of this on the coin.

Jazzcoins joe alien ZEC

Attached Files:

16. RCBruce

RCBruce Nickel Nerd

This is why I shy away from errors unless it's just something too obvious. Kinda sucks the fun right out of it!

17. GDJMSP

Believe what ya want Joe, but if ya want to find out for sure, send that puppy in for slabbing. You can send it to NGC or PCGS and if it comes back as a sintered planchet/annealing error then I'll pay the fees. Shipping both ways, insurance, TPG fees - everything.

And if it's not - then you admit you were wrong. Sound like a plan ?

18. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Now i won't let you do that GD pay for the fees if it comes back slabbed authentic how about giving me a 1955 doubled die in MS67:eek: is that a deal sounds good?

I did bring it to one dealer that knows there error coins he said it was a sinthered planchet. i will send it in for sure as soon as I get a chance ,but let me know if that deal sticks OK:pencil:,and i will admit i;m wrong, and i will give you a 1964 kennedy MS65. :pencil:

Now GD how do you really know if it is or not you don;t have the coin in hand ,believe me the coin looks just like the ones slabbed in person:thumb::thumb:
    Jazzcoins Joe:smile

19. GDJMSP

Joe all I can tell is if I've seen 1 I've seen a 100 coins that look just exactly like yours and not one of them was a sintered planchet. Every single one came out of the ground.

Go bury a nickel in your yard and dig it up in about 3-6 months. You'll see.

20. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Just exactly what is an improperly annealed planchet?

21. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

thats what they look like when they are stored outside in a metal box. I have found a few looking in old payphone change boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.