100 Yen note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Digenes, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Received the following 100 yen note in the mail today from my mom. She was going through some boxes she found that had belonged to my Dad, and decided it would be nice to send it me. Knowing nothing about foreign currency, I am hoping someone here can shed a little light on it.
    I don't expect it to be anything grand or special, but would just like to know a little about this particular note.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks alot in advance
    Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

looks like P-90 printed in 1953, with single letter serial prefix .. it goes for $4.00 in VG, $12.50 in VF and $40 in unc

the note is descriebd in Krauss as:

4. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Thanks Daggarjon.
    Like I said, I didn't think it was going to turn out to be anything super special, other than it belonged to my Dad.

Dave

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

JNDA Catalog #11-74, issued by the Bank of Japan.

Itagaki Taisuke was an early supporter of the Emperor in his battle to recapture Imperial authority over the Shogun warlords, and later became a founder of the first political party in Japanese history.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice piece! Any more to share!

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

What catalog is that hontonai?

8. hontonai

The annual Japanese Numismatic Dealers Association Catalog, usually obtainable from Joel Anderson or on ebay, for <$20. It covers all Japanese coins and currency, including occupation money and ancients.

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Thanks - i might have to pick up this year.

10. hontonai

The 2010 edition should be out sometime next month.

Draft saved Draft deleted