10 cent Nederlanden coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by labatt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. labatt

labatt New Member

I have five old 10 cent coins from Nederlanden which I am assuming is the Netherlands. The oldest is from 1935. They are extemely small coins, the smallest that I have for anyone interested in the size. What do you think it's worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Use this as a guide.If you can't read it on your monitor,click the photo a second time to enlarge it.
    They're not worth a whole lot unless you have a 1944d.

edited - copyright

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

MikjoO:
    Wow, that 1944D is some nice bucks!

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You may well know this - the "D" actually means Denver. (Minted in the US during the German occupation of the Netherlands.) And yes, P and S refer to ...

These older Dutch 10 cent coins are silver pieces, as the catalog says. Later ones (1948-2001) are made from nickel. And they all are tiny - diameter is always 15 mm, from the mid-19c throughout the 20c.

Christian

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Christian,that size does not apply to the Dutch zinc 10c. coin of 1941 to 1944.They are larger.

Aidan.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, but they were issued by the German occupation government.

Christian

8. Dark Penguin

Dark Penguin New Member

I wasn't fully aware of the extent of foreign coin production at U.S. mints. Very interesting indeed.

9. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The US also minted coins for Australia during WWII (with D and S mintmarks), and for a long time Panamanian coins were minted on the exact same planchets as their US counterparts.

10. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Here is a pic of one I have. It's a Doubled Die Reverse but I can't get a good image of it. I also have a pic of it next to a US Dime to show size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

As for value, not much. There is a rare one from 1944, which Krause lists 3 times with no differentiating except one was almost entirely melted. And a 1945 one is worth $120.00 in Fine condition. On the plus side, until 1945 they had 0.0288 ounces of silver in them.

12. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

here is a closeup of that doubled die reverse. still trying to get better pictures.

[​IMG]

13. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Nice DDR. I only have the one nickel on my avatar. But I really enjoy it.

14. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

I have about 5 world doubled dies, with my avatar being the best. Just wish I could get better pics so I could post them.

15. kustompaint

kustompaint New Member

did anyone see one of these coins with what looks like a dagger going through wilhelminas neck..its deffinatley a mint error..its not a scratch and the coin is in nice shape

Draft saved Draft deleted