1 Yen help

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by raider34, Oct 17, 2009.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Hey everyone, I was on eBay and picked this note up, along with a few others for real cheap.

I'm having some trouble finding out where it's actually from (Japan?), and when it was actually printed. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Pick# 85 - Bank of Japan 1 Yen 1946-1951 ND (No Date) Issue, 1946
    Front: Cockeral at lower center, Ninomiya Sontoku at right
    Value: Approximately $1 USD for uncirculated

Ninomiya Sontoku (二宮 尊徳), born Ninomiya Kinjirō (二宮 金次郎, 1787-1856), was a prominent 19th century Japanese agricultural leader, philosopher, moralist and economist who was born to a poor peasant family but became a great landowner through hard work. He invented an original poverty reduction program out of his own experience. The rulers of the time, shogunate and daimyo, recognized his ability and hired him as a manager of rural development program.

Born in a poor farmer family with a name of Kinjiro in Kayama Ashigarakami-gun Sagami province, Sontoku studied on his own as he worked hard for his family. The name "Sontoku" was given to him for his accomplishments. Later in life, he was recruited by various daimyo to run oversee village restoration projects. Even to this day, he tends to be regarded as a symbol of hard work and perseverance.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Great info, thanks Clay!

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

About all that's left to add is the JNDA catalog number - 11-67 - and the higher catalog valuation of ¥300 (~$3.30) for UNC.

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Nice engraving or so it appears o that 1 Yen Note!!

RickieB

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I think you will find that this note is lithographed, not engraved.

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Is there an easy way to distinquish between lithographed notes and engraved notes if you dont have 1 of each side by side??

9. hontonai

Prossibly not from a picture, but in hand it is fairly simple. Engraved notes have a different feel because of the printing method. Under magnification it is often possible to distinguish the printing method, as any large printed area will consist of many fine lines on an engraved note, and look like a single area of coloration on a lithographed one.

For engraved notes lines are engraved on a plate, which is then inked and wiped clean, leaving ink in the incised lines. The plate is printed with great pressure, usually through a set of rollers, so that the dampened paper will absorb all the ink from the lines in the plate. This results in a raising of the inked lines, which can be felt when holding the note.

In lithography a plate is treated so that ink will adhere to only the parts which are intended to be printed in a given color. That plate is then applied to the paper with pressure that permits the ink to be transferred. The result is a smooth-feeling paper.

In both procedures a single plate carries only one color, and multi-color printing requires either multiple press runs, or multiple printing areas on a web press. Precise registration of the paper is critical to the success of either method.

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I ask only because there are world notes that are said to be lithographed, that sure look like they are engraved. I was looking ata note from Indonesia last night. The note was P-122. P-122a is engraved, while P-122b is lithographed. I had my loupe out looking at several areas of the note, they all looked engraved. Then i looked at 1 spot on the design, the 'burst' of green behind the centraly located denomination. The green areas look lithographed. Under 30x magnification, the areas does look to be a solid color. But the same can be said of a US note, in certain areas.

so while i understand the differences in the printing of each type... trying to tell two notes with the same design, but printed udner different methods, apart is proving to be a little more difficult.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice note raider!!

12. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Junior Member

What about this Japanese bill 100 yen

100 YEN Nippon Ginko

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luis Fernando

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

very nice note Luis! i do really like the back vingette!!!

14. Luis Fernando

100 yen

Obverse: Portrait of Itagaki Taisuke
    [​IMG] Reverse: The Diet Building
    [​IMG] Size: 76mm X 148mm, Date of first issue: December, 1953 (Showa era, year 28), Issue: Bank of Japan (NIPPON GINKO)

Itagaki Taisuke (1837 - 1919) was a Japanese politician who became a leader of the Freedom and People's Rights Movement (jiyu minken undo).

Luis Fernando

15. hontonai

JNDA#11-74.

Please tell me that the red ink みほん (alternative hiragana rendition of "Nihon", meaning "Japan") at the lower left of each side are on a plastic sleeve, and not directly on the note!

I'm hoping that's what it is, since generally the country name would be rendered by a Japanese native in Kanji (日本), not hiragana.

Without the markings, in the condition shown the bill is cataloged at ¥300-1,500 (~$3.30-16.50). If the bill itself is marked, it might be worth ¥100 (~90¢).

16. Luis Fernando

I'am sorry

This it not my bill ,It is just an example.(second pictures)

Luis Fernando

17. snogglethorpe

snogglethorpe New Member

みほん here isn't an "alternative hiragana rendition of Nihon", it's 見本, meaning "sample."

Draft saved Draft deleted