$1 Gold 1855-D rare coin? w/ problems

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sarin69, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Sarin69

Sarin69 New Member

Hello. I just got my 1855-D gold $1 back from ANACS and I thought it would be a kind-of low grade, but it came back as a "prob;lem Coin" with a net grade of F-12. According to them it was once jewelry, damaged and repaired, plus cleaned. Could a coin go through much else?

It looks pretty nice to me and there are really no obvious spots where it was repaired. I don;t know what to do or what it is worth in this state?

ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT I MIGHT GET FOR THIS COIN OR SHOULD I TRY ANOTHER GRADING SERVICE LIKE NGC OR PCGS (I DON'T THINK THEY DO PROBLEM COINS?)

I AM LOOKING TO SELL OFF A PRETTY DECENT COLLECTION OF COINS AND CURRENCY. DOES ANYONE HAVE A FAVORITE DEALER OR COLLECTOR THAT WON'T EMBARRESS ME WITH THEIR OFFER?

this is the first time I have begun to get some of my collection graded and ready to sell.

thanks!!

N

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

The thing is, you have already paid for someone's "professional" opinion. Now you're not happy with what you got.
    So you'd like to keep paying until you get someone to tell you that your coin is much nicer than it really is?
    Would you like to sell it to someone without having to tell them about all the problems your coin has?

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

None of the other grading companies will grade your coin at all - they will simply take your slabbing fees and return the coin to you in a body-bag. What you have now - is as good as it will get.

Just because the coin looks "ok" to you - does not mean it is. This is an excellent example of the difference bewteen what an owner thinks and a professional knows.

But since the '55-D is the rarest of the gold dollars - even in the condition ANACS has stated - it is still rather valuable. I would expect you could get $1,000 and likely a good deal more.

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

GDJMSP is correct. The 1855-D is a highly collectible coin. Dahlonga coins are highly prized among collectors and many will look past the value killers such as cleaning and mountings. While it certainly effects the price to a great deal, it doesn't in the same degree to which a Philly coin with the same conditions would be.
    Jewelry mounting was and still is a very common practice for gold coins. Because of their small size, they are perfect candidates. Most dealers can spot this easily. This ability comes from viewing many coins repeatedly. There are many things about coins that can be passed through collectors. If you resubmit this coin to PGCS or NGC, your odds are 100% that it will come back in a body bag as stated. They are both clear in what they will grade. Anacs is a very respected grading service, and your coin will have no problem selling.

Draft saved Draft deleted