1 Euro Coins - How Many Are There?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rlowe, Jan 25, 2006.

1. rlowe

rlowe New Member

Well I just made my first purchase of coins not minted in the US.

I have been poking around the world coin marlet for a while looking for an interesting set to collect.

What I decided on is simply collecting 1 BU example (preferably from the first year minted) of each 1 Euro coin.

I found a good deal on the original 12 countries from 2002, but am at a loss in my quest for those added since then as well as coins from the Vatican and other smaller examples.

All I'm looking for is a good web site that I can purchase BU 1 Euro coins. What are your favorites.

Also, where might I find a list of every variety of 1 Euro coin minted?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess the ones you don't have are Monaco, San Marino and Vatican. Well, many pieces from those countries have been made for collector sets only. MC and SM may occur "in the wild", VA pieces do not - except (theoretically) from an opened mint set.

Here are the images of the country specific sides of all €1 coins:
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/economy_finance/euro/essentials/coins_notes/coins_mockups/c1_5_en.htm

Note that if you want pieces from the "first year", that means 1999 in some cases, 2001 in one other, and 2002 in some others. As for the designs, I like the Greek and Italian €1 coins best ...

Christian

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

You must also decide on which Euro coins you want to collect. There are three categories:
    • General circulation issues, each having the "common side" and a country-specific side, in denominations of 1¢, 2¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ and €1
    • €2 Legal tender commemoratives, with the common side and the country specific side with a special design
    • NCLT coins which must be in a denomination different from the regular series, and have distinctive designs on both sides, different from the common side design, and the normal country specific side.
    Although the rules for NCLT simply call for a different denomination, so far as I am aware all of them issued to date have been denominated €5 or more, and there have been no 3¢, €2.50, or other oddball denominations yet.

If you limit yourself to the first category, from all countries, you have at least 105 coins per year to acquire, including the hard-to-find Vatican issues. Including mintmarks in the quest adds quite a few more, as would the €2 pieces which are not issued every year by every country.

NCLT collection could get very expensive, even though not every country issues them ever year. Sometimes a country issues more than one in the same year, and they are generally issued at a premium over face value, which has reached at least €200 ($245.30)!

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, there are a few - like the quarter (€0.25), or the one and a half (€1.50) pieces. But as you wrote, these are collector coins, so the OP will probably not be interested in them anyway ...

Christian

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Oh, and as for the maximum face value - don't forget the Austrian €100,000 coin. :D

Christian

7. rlowe

rlowe New Member

Thanks for all the great info, but where do I buy these coins?

E-Bay (the obvious choice) is decent, but who are the good dealers out there that sell world coins?

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Since I am in Europe, I usually buy from mints or dealers around here. In a few cases that may make sense for American customers too, but in general it will of course be easier for you to buy from dealers in North America. Two dealers that I have bought from are www.scandmint.com (in Utah, US - despite the word "Scandinavian" in the name they have coins from many other countries too) and www.eurocollections.com (in BC, Canada - despite the word "euro" in the name they have coins from many non-euro countries too :D ). Both sell primarily mint sets and collector coins ...

Christian

9. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Somebody must have lost their mind over at the U.S. Mint for us to not be making coins like those. They are beautiful!

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Some are neat, some are dull. The ones from Belgium, for example - eight denominations, and eight times the same portrait of the king ... What is surely nice, at least from a collctor's point of view, is that you have 12 (or 15) different designs for each denomination of the circulation coins.

This page http://www.ecb.int/bc/coins/national/1euro/html/index.en.html has basically the same images but along with some brief info about what is depicted.

Christian

11. joesmom

joesmom Member

12. El Buitre

El Buitre Junior Member

Hi,

a very good website to find swappers and collectors and for all informations of €-Coins is:
    www.euroswapper.com (in english):thumb:

Greetings
    El Buitre

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Euro Coins.

Christian, the Austrian 100,000 Euros coin must be a massive one.Do you know what event it commemorates?

There are 15 countries that have issued proper Euro coins.
    There are others that have had private pattern Euro coins struck.Examples of private pattern Euro coins that are of interest to British Commonwealth coin collectors are ones from Cyprus,Malta,Great Britain,& Alderney.These are listed in the 2005 edition of Krause's 'Unusual World Coins'.
    It would be nice to get the private pattern Euros & private pattern ECUs from all the British Isles countries,including Ireland.I have a 1992 pattern 5 ECU from Great Britain in my British coin collection.

Aidan.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Austrian Mint issues bullion gold coins (one ounce, half ounce ... the usual "assortment") every year. In 2004 it made 15 of those "giants": 1000 oz each which is more than 30 kg, diameter 37 cm.
    http://img.pte.at/photo_db/thumbnails/thumb12608.gif

One of them will be shown at the World Money Fair next month. And visitors can have pictures ("Me and Big Phil") taken ... :rolleyes:

As for those privately issued "ecu" and "euro" pieces, well, there are many of those, with all sorts of country/territory names on them. Very few (and certainly none from the UK) were actually government issued. Especially those pseudo-euros are just medals - nicely designed in some cases, but they do not have anything to do with the euro.

Christian

15. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

15 Countries * 8 Coins + Commemoratives

IN ADDITION TO THE 12 COUNTRIES ALSO MONACO , SAN MARINO AND ANDORRA ISSUED THEIR SETS. I STILL LOOK FOR ANDORRAN EURO, OR ANY CENTS.
    A SCORE OF COMMEMORATIVE COINS WITH NON CIRCULATING VALUES ALSO MINTED: 5 , 8 , 10 , 12 , 15 , 20 EUROS WHICH I HAVE, 50 GOLD EURO AND THE LARGEST COIN EVER 100000 GOLD EURO FROM AUSTRIA, 1000 Oz. ALSO EXIST.

16. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Giladzuc,I have the Presidency of the E.U. 12 Euros from Spain.What a very odd value for a coin denominated in Euros.It is silver.

Aidan.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Caps Lock key broken? ;)

There are no euro coins from Andorra. As far as circulation coins are concerned, the country uses euro and cent pieces, and the national budget is in € too. But that is pretty much a continuation of what they did before the euro: use what Spain and France use.

Unlike Monaco etc., Andorra did not have a monetary agreement with a neighboring country, and thus does not have any with the European Union. The government would like to, in general, but I don't know if that has a high priority for Andorra or the EU. The negotiations about this issue started in fall 2004.

If you want Andorran coins now, you would have to get the diner and centim coins. Those are sold to collectors but do not occur in circulation.

Christian

18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello giladzuc

Vatican, not Andorra, yet
    Cucumbor

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

It is even stranger that the €12 silver pieces (Spain has issued a couple of those) are smaller than the €10 silver pieces. :rolleyes: Well, the "twelvers" are actually available at face value AFAIK while the "tenners" (proof only) cost much more than 10 euro.

But since the collector coins are not intended for, and do usually not occur in, circulation, the face value does not matter much. (Same thing with the American and French silver commems.) The €12 face value was picked, by the way, because they continue the "line" of the 2000 pesetas silver coins. 2000 ptas is almost exactly 12 euro, so ...

Christian

20. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

I Know Only About One Type Of Spanish 12

EURO. I SAW 2 COINS OF THAT TYPE AND BOUGHT ONE.
    THE REST THAT I HAVE ARE:
    FINLAND - 5 EURO (BIMETALLIC)
    FRANCE - A TRANSITION COIN 100 F , 15 EURO 1997 PROOF (SILVER)
    NETHERLANDS - 5 EURO 1996 , 20 EURO 1997 (NICKEL !)
    PORTUGAL 5 EURO 1997 (NICKEL) 8 EURO 2003 , 8 EURO 2003 , 8 EURO 2003 (3 * SILVER) I HEARED ABOUT 3 MORE TYPES , ALL ARE CONNECTED TO FOOTBALL
    SAO TOME !!! 10000 DOBRAS , 5 EURO 1998 DOUBLE VALUED COIN OUT OF EUROPE !
    SPAIN - 10 EURO 1997 , 12 EURO 2004 (BOTH ARE FROM SILVER)

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The fact that some piece of metal has the characters ECU or the word Euro on it does not necessarily make it a coin. :rolleyes: Some of the pieces you list are euro coin, others are coins but not euro coins, and others are medals.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted