You just won $1,000. Choose your coin.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lkeigwin, May 5, 2012.

1. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

I would have to pick that 1814 cbh :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AnkurJ

AnkurJ New Member

For me it would be the 1794 Cent as the surfaces look decent and clean. Frankly, I dont think you could get this for $1000 today though.

4. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Give me $7,000 more and I'll get them all, they're all nice

I'd get the Oregon Trail commem

5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I would have to take the 1794 Large Cent, classic coin and those coppers can be so hard to find.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The '59 Indian , I have all the others except the large cent . So it's a no brainer for me . That Trade dollar sure is a beauty though as are the others .

7. AngelKitty

AngelKitty Sparkles *n* Cats

It would be a very, very tough choice between the 1794 flowing hair cent and the 1910 gold eagle. I'd go for the flowing hair because it's a piece of early American history, but I'd also go for the gold eagle because it's absolutely gorgeous.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Tough choice. I'm torn between the CBH and the large cent. The CBH is a gorgeous example but in the end I'd probably go with the old copper. It would be my first coin from the 18th century and one I'd be proud to own.

9. petro89

petro89 Member

All beautiful! Personally, I'd take the bust half followed by the Oregon commem.

10. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Great answers, and a nice variety of choices.

The OR commem is to die for. It was auctioned recently on Heritage. Someone will find it. I bought it from the winner, who got into a bidding war and later had second thoughts. It sold for well over $1k. Quite a premium but really a spectacular coin.

The '17-D Lincoln is a funny one. When PCGS announced their "big one" a couple of years ago (plus grading, Secure Plus and all that) I sent it in because I thought it was undergraded and might get a bump. I didn't get the grade bump but they gave it a full RD designation instead of the RB it had. Hmm. A $3k coin now, per the price guide? I don't think so. I'm okay with a $1k ballpark.

The T$ is the most lustrous I've seen in a long time. A few field issues hold it back but oh my it's a stunner. I looked for one like this for almost 5 years. I was building a 1878 dollar set and this completed it.

CBH's are probably my favorite series today. I have several 1814's. This isn't the most colorful but I really enjoy the clashing and over all look.

I love large cents. That's an S-65, shielded hair variety. Head of 1794, not 1795 (PCGS misattributed it). Die pair typically weak on right side and strong on left. It's a beauty, in a PCGS slab 5 OGH.

The 1859 IHC at MS64 is a $1500 coin, according to the price guide. I bought it closer to $1k on ebay several years ago and it is a standout. 64 is probably fair but it could plus. It's not important.

THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THEIR OPINIONS! $1k is a lot to spend on any one coin but we all find ways to justify it.
    Lance.

11. azhiker00

azhiker00 Member

That Oregon is awesome, but what is the grade? 1926 S is pretty common for that commemorative and $1,000 is a lot to pay for it. If its a 66 and under $500.00 thats my choice!

12. Sully

Sully New Member

Sounds crazy but being from Oregon originally, I've had in my mind for a few months now that if I came across a nice Oregon Trail commemorative, that would be my first serious purchase. I just love the design of that coin.

13. silverspoonvint

silverspoonvint New Member

Great explanations!!! Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

14. AnkurJ

AnkurJ New Member

So which one are you giving away? ;)

15. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I'd take none of those coins, if I had $1,000 just to blow right now on a coin, I'd throw it towards that uncirculated 32 D or S Washington Quarter as I'm putting an uncirculated set together currently. Or perhaps the 36-D as well since it can approach those high dollars in MS quality as well. Ughh, these 3 coins are likely going to be last in the collection. ;)

16. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

Real hard choice, but I would say either the Liberty Walking or the half eagle. Such beautiful coins!

17. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

I finally got my 32-D, but it definately not high grade. Mine is like Fair 2. Made a trade for it.

18. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Such hard options....
    I would have to go for the 1794 Cent. That chocolate patina and the condition just eats me alive. Besides her age, the history she must have is a plus and I would spend ours researching those times.....

If I had another choice, then I would go for the 1814 Bust half. Still has luster, great detail and just the right amount of rim toning on it.

19. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

The 1794 large cent, because I'm a copper guy.
    However, since I'm really a half cent guy and had $1,00 to spend, I'd get an 1803 Cohen-1 variety in (EAC grade) VF-35 (which would translate to a PCGS grade of ~EF-45)

20. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

1794 cent. I love anything from the early days of our country.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like you early copper and colonial guys more and more every day. I still say your area is where I would be if I started in US coins again. Nice, old fashioned, conservative grading, like ancients are graded. :) Way too many people need to get it into their heads that a nice VF is a great coin! Just enough wear to give it personality, but still great details.

Draft saved Draft deleted