Wow...1997 P Botanical Gardens Commemorative Dollar.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Sep 5, 2013.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I bought myself a 1997 Botanic Gardens set today, mainly for the 1997 P Matte Proof Jefferson Nickel (mintage of 25,000.) I have to be honest...it was the last thing I opened. (Most of my other purchases were DDO or other varieties...)

As soon as I opened it, I saw THIS:

1997 Botanic Garden - Reverse.png 1997 Botanic Garden - Obverse.png

There are literally ZERO marks/dings/hairlines on this coin. I looked at the pictures and saw a white dot between the B and E of LIBERTY...nope. That's not on the coin. This coin is PERFECT...and has gorgeous toning to boot!

You know, I hadn't planned on keeping this...I'd planned on flipping it immediately to bring down the cost of my matte proof nickel. But after looking at this...I am hell bent on testing whether or not NGC will give this an MS70* grade...

Sorry for all the recent posts...and all the huge images...but I just had to share this!

markr, brg5658, ZoidMeister and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Congrats.

My Botanic Gardens coin exhibits almost exactly the same toning patter.

stldanceartist likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's really hard to tell from photos whether or not it would garner a 70. All it takes is the slightest little pinprick to catch the eyes of the graders to knock it down a point, and the only way to tell is to tilt the coin back and forth in all directions under a good light.

In any case, I think it's beautiful, and I'd be curious to know if it would get a star (*) for the crescent toning. Go ahead and submit it. It's only money that you can't take with you.

Chris

5. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

awesome coin, bro...

6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Very nice coin. Even as a 69, * or not the coin speaks for itself.

Sweet pick up!

7. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

Now that the is the nicest coin I have seen

8. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful coin! Beautiful design by the mint (seems rare these days). Nice strike. Gorgeous toning. Not sure I could bring myself to sell that. Good luck with NGC, and thanks for sharing.

9. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Yes, I too have been wanting one I f those sets for the nickle too. I just recently got the Jefferson coin and currency set. Yours is definitely a nice piece. How about a pic of the nickle?

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Of all the coins to get rose-colored toning... :)

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Congrats on a truly great looking Nickel.

13. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I must have missed the nickle!

14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

7 year old thread that none of you have any idea what the hell you're talking about.

15. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, it is a super old thread and I now probably have around 15-30 of the 1997 nickels - with about double that of the 1994’s - so I’m not sure I could even figure out which one came in this particular set haha

In fact, I just picked up another of the 1994 sets Saturday for $25. Which I thought was a GREAT price, especially once I sell off the dollar and commemorative and end up paying about $1 net for the nickel...

NSP and Mike Davis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted