Would someone be willing to look through these notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Kevinfred, Mar 24, 2012.

1. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Not once on this forum did I ever suggest that I have the only right to answer a question. Not once. I love how you came out of nowhere and made such a comment. What I am trying to correlate is that this is like when a coin collector whose interest and specialty is ancient coins gives advice on what to do with a proof set from 1974.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Ok, so your post changed. Cute.

Quoting before you change this post as well....

Dave

4. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

sorry but you are totally wrong with your last statement. just because someones interest and specialty is ancient coins has nothing to do with the knowledge they might have about a 1974 proof set. i would consider myself well versed and knowledgeable about small sized US currency but i could still have some information that is beneficial to a new collector about large sized currency or obsolete notes. that is being narrow minded. you did seem to attack some of the others about your historical importance of notes earlier in this thread. when that is not what the op asked about. he clearly asked about what the notes might be worth. the statements you made about historical importance might not be wrong but when there are people in this forum that have a lot more knowledge about this particular subject, they are wrong in your mind because they are going only by what the op had asked about, which was value. :hail: peace yall i'm out...... :devil:

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

NOS and Dave, why not take the argument to private messages?(A Suggestion not an order:thumb:)

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Changing my post had nothing to do with you, Dave. Rather, I had just come home from my Advocacy and Argument class at my college and utilized what I learned in that class today to improve upon the message that I was trying to convey to everyone.

There's no need to take any argument to private messages because for all intents and purposes regarding this matter, my conversation with Dave has ended.

7. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

Oh, but it does, urbanchemist.

You see, a collector who is into ancient coins may, or may not, have any knowledge, or interest on/of a 1974 proof set. So no, NOS is not "totally wrong".

I think that all that he is trying to say is, if somebody has no interest in a given area, than they are probably not the best ones to be giving opinions in that area.

It doesn't mean that they shouldn't give their opinion, it just means that the person asking for said opinion should consider the source, and then decide what is right for them. :)

8. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

ok you are right he isnt "totally wrong" he is only partially wrong :thumb:

9. billy-t

billy-t New Member

This my opinion and only mine.
    I collect paper money as well as coins and I don't think I'm in it for monetary gain.
    But if I were you I'd go to eBay and look at the old 1914, 1918 large Federal Reserve notes.
    For what you have you could pick up a few-couple of the $5, $10 or $20 notes. This would give you art, history, and a possible gain should you choose to sell them later. I have coins worth considerably more, that a non-collector wouldn't even care to look at, but those notes always seem to interest people of all ages and interest.
    If you continue collecting currency no matter what you decide to specialize in you'll probably always like those.

Draft saved Draft deleted