Wood Coin box ideas/suggestions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by thedjsavage, Sep 24, 2011.

1. thedjsavage

thedjsavage Senior Member

Sorry for that trouble, I really didn't intend to hurt anyone's computer or spread anything. I've reported the issue to adf.ly so they can look into it and maybe get the people who put that into the ad rotation. Sorry again for any trouble.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thedjsavage

thedjsavage Senior Member

Thanks for this, I really had never been to this site before. I love the storage and preservation part of collection almost as much as the coins themselves. I just really get into it. We also just recently got a floor safe that I'm itching to load up with my collection. Thanks to everyone so far for your replies so far.

4. dave92029

dave92029 Member

The 25th Anniversary ASE set from the US Mint will be coming in a wood box. Do you suggest storing the coins outside of the Mint wood box or does the Mint coat the boxes, so that they are safe to store the silver coins?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Over the years the Mint has sold many sets in wood boxes. And every single year they sell millions more that come in cardboard boxes. Unfortunately, both types of boxes are harmful to your coins and the coins should never be stored in them.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well I had several of the cherrywood boxes - had the from issue date to around 2008 or so. Only one of them showed any toning. All the rest still looked nice. So I had like the 4 coin smithsonian set for 12 years in a small sentry safe. The question is how long does it take for the damage to take place?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's no way to predict any time because of all the variables involved.

The point is this - it's a risk any way you want to look at it. And it is a risk that is easily avoided so why risk it all ?

Draft saved Draft deleted