Will the BEP offer the new $100 notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Tell you what, when they come out I'm cherry picking the serials of the ones I get!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ronterry

ronterry New Member

10 Grand? Seriously? Not anytime soon I'm afraid - dang mortgage, car payment, food, and utility bills have me strapped. Ok strapped on money, but not able to get straps of money - ??? - wait??? ummm never mind?

4. Drago the Wolf

Drago the Wolf Junior Member

Isn't it amazing to think that, back when $10,000 bills circulated, one starp of $10,000s was one million dollars? The drug lords and money launderers would absolutely LOVE to see that denomination return. :devil:

5. ALF

ALF Member

I hope so.

6. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

That's interesting.

I was under the impression that the Fed banks only did business with other banks, and not the consumer, directly. Now that I know this, maybe I'll make my own trek over to the Boston Fed, at some point, and see if I can get an uncirculated strap of $2's, or something.

Oh, btw, :thumb: Rickie B, from one Mass native, to another. :D

7. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I heard that is the best place to insure getting a nice UNC strap! My local bank, well they told me to come during Christmas if I wanted a new condition strap! In their defense I did find a 1964 silver Roosie in a roll search this evening!!! Still amazes me that silver is still in circulation along with Silver Certs???????

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

More likely would to be to pull it from the supply of star notes that they print. Apparently they don't cut those until they are going to be needing them. At least that was the case with the twos when they first started offering them. The sheets of singles had gone wellbut with the twos they weren't currently printing any so they went to the stockpiled star note sheets (That is why all the Series 1976 Two dollar sheets are star notes.)

Your first thought is correct they don't deal with the general public, member banks only.

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Numismatic News has an article today:

BEP Struggles With $100
    Production of the new $100 note was a thorn in the side of the Bureau of Printing and Engraving operations in 2010.

“The single biggest obstacle to successful production was the tendency of the $100 currency paper with the three dimensional security ribbon to crease as the sheets of paper fed through the intaglio printing press,” BEP Director Larry Felix reported in the 2010 annual report.
    [...]

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

They should have said the creasing was another security measure and it's regulated pattern only known by BEP. This would have driven the forgers and unfriendly governments crazy trying to figure it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted