Who should I sell to?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lasers, Feb 28, 2014.

1. to be honest, I didnt really come out of any woodwork. I didn't even know there was a hype until you said something. I still dont think there is any hype on either. It may seem like hype to you because you are into the whole coin, silver, gold talk thing, but most people arent even thinking about silver/gold at all. My dad collects coins and I started collecting all types of coins (not just silver). I only joined coin talk to discuss silver so hence the name. Yes, I agree with you-If a person bought silver at $48/oz they would be losing money right now. When i left my comment I was thinking of buying it when it hits $10-$15/oz so I guess I was thinking too far ahead.
    The US dollar is destined for weakness. My proof-look at the rate it is being printed and do the math. Keeping money in the bank may be safe for now, but in a few years to come your money will buy a lot less. If you were a newbie who bought 1000 ounces at ($10-15/oz.) and decided to sit on your "wealth", you may be able to make a small profit if you sold it at its peak. My point?- anything you buy silver, gold, coins, stock market, land, teddy bears, or army tanks all fluctuate in value and none are 100% predictable. Common since always says buy low sell high.
    1 last thing. If you had $50K in the bank 10 years ago, yes it would still be $50K, but it would have a lot less buying power (value) than it did 10 years ago due to high inflation.
    Buy what you enjoy. no one is promised a tomorrow and you cant take any of your money to the grave even if your investment was a $million profit.
    Thanks for the input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Haha. Must be nice to be running out of room on stuff like that! I cant wait to buy some gold coins with the pandas and buffalo nickle design.

4. Thanks for standing up and being logical.

5. Do these people mentioned have 100% accuracy every time they make a prediction? It seems with so many opinions in the world it is hard to tell who to take advice from. Babe Ruth is known for his home runs, but many do not know he is also had more strike outs than anyone. Nostradamus made thousands of untrue predictions and of course several came true due to the math. If these guys you mention are have a history of being accurate please let me know their names so I can learn from them. Thanks in advance.

6. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

My point was a little broader than that, if a person bought at $21, $22, $23, ... $47, $48 and yes $50 plus was an option with premiums, import charges and taxes, in certain countries. There are a lot of people in this world that overpaid by $20 - $40 an ounce.

... and silver hasn't shown you decades and decades of weakness, in-between a couple of hiccups?

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Depends. If you bought in 1981 for $500 an ounce you lost big time versus inflation.

Unless you are comparing holding gold versus a FRN, I guess we are kind of stupid that no one is that dumb, of course holind any asset versus a FRN will "win" over time.

Btw, lighten up Francis. We are trying to have a conversation, I simply do not know where your hostility is coming from. I understand this is usually a contentious part of the board, but I do not see where the angriness is coming from. Maybe I missed that post.

torontokuba likes this.
  8. medoraman

You can simply go back in older threads here and read posts from members. Read them, and see what happened after they wrote it. Tell by yourself who you believe has given better advice historically. Never accept anyone's claim without seeing the proof yourself.

You are right about people making tons of predictions and then pointing to the 1 out of 100 that came true. One PM "forecaster" has done that since the 70's, every few months predicting a "dramatic rise in pm", then bragging for a decade the one time this came true as "proof" of why you should send him money. In this industry, never trust any self proclaimed expert, study the record for yourself.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Right about everything No, but were pretty much spot on about the metals sector since 2012. If you really would like to learn a thing or two, read the old posts from Chris (Medoraman) and Jim, (DesertGem). Both these folks have strong financial backrounds, really know their stuff, and are more than willing to share info.

10. Yes silver has weaknesses too, but the US dollar is actually predictable and easy to see its future is to fail. By no means am I suggesting that anyone put all of their money into any 1 thing. I would laugh at that person. A person who throws all of their money into 1 investment is an idiot, much like the person who leaves it in the bank and does nothing. I never claimed that silver was promised to rise to $150/oz. I also never claimed it was the best investment or that it was a good investment. I just do not know and honestly don't care. All I am saying is its never a good idea to buy high and sell low and don't put all of your eggs in 1 basket. Is what I am saying something far fetched? by the way-if you do know of a sure thing then please share with the rest of the group. as far as people that bought high-my condolences.
    buy silver because its fun. If you aren't having fun then no one is forcing you to buy it. The same goes for coins, gold, stock, etc.

11. torontokuba

Listen medoraman, don't start! For all we know, "Lame", "weak", followed by "stop criticizing", "bravo" and topped off with a "Back to trolling" and "good luck" could be a code, offering hints to the select few, about future increases in PMs. You really can't judge a man by his hostility, at least I refuse to.;)

BUY HIGH, HIGHER and KEEP FOREVER! More power to you.

12. Cool thanks man I really appreciate it. Ive been studying the whole numismatic, and PM's thing for a few weeks now, but am glad to find someone who has a good grasp on things. I dont collect to make money though. I just love coins, and holding silver and gold in my hand. Or even cooler-a quarter from 1836! hahaha.

medoraman likes this.
  13. medoraman

Cool for you man. I love holding silver in the form of a Sassanid dirhem or Roman denarius, or gold in the form of a gold stater from Alexander the Great personally. :) Actually, bad examples, the stater is pretty brutally priced versus melt.

If you wish to be serious about pm you need to separate your love of coins from pm IMHO. If not, you will end up with overpriced bullion. Investment money in the form of bullion should be separate from your coin collecting money. If you like, "collect" your bullion and have fun with it, (which is why I prefer coins for bullion), but the danger if you mix the two is overpaying for bullion. Never pay over 5-10% over spot for a "bullion" purchase. If you wish to buy a 1996 ASE do it with "coin hobby money", not pm investment money.

14. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Awesome...we'll see you at $18 and $1100 then...good times

15. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

How so??? What is your time frame and definition of failure? Personally, I see no certainty of a collapse, at least not in my lifetime.

torontokuba likes this.
  16. austyn

austyn Member

Sell it to me

17. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yeah Peace, why the anger??? Honest open discussion really seems to get your panties in a bunch.....

torontokuba likes this.
  18. torontokuba

You guys just need to learn how to listen...

Screen shot 2014-04-22 at 7.23.22 PM.png

19. Dude that would be so cool that have something actually that old!
    Thanks for the needed advice on the separating bullion from numismatics. I paid a way over spot premium on my Lunar Australian coins, but I wanted the designs so bad that I couldnt see another way of getting them. I think I am going ot stay away from collecting for investment because its too fun to collect and I dont want my emotions involved. Again thanks!

20. PeacePeople

I'm mostly disappointed that regardless of the thread, a few of you constantly post that PMs are a bad investment. You pick and choose specific dates to support an argument that is actually false. Any monkey can do that.

Last I checked it's Bullion Investing, not Why Bullion Sucks and Nobody Shoud Ever Buy Any. As an added bonus you guys love to bring up the "gurus", another of my favorite themes that I rarely see anybody but you guys draw attention to.

21. PeacePeople

I don't think posting pics of yourself is the best idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted