Who else wants time out ?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GDJMSP, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Guano

Guano New Member

What's Guano Eye, seems like a personal attack to me? I guess it's hard to practice what you preach.

4. PezDspncr

PezDspncr Newly Obsessed

He was replying to EyeEatWheaties

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Guano, you know exactly what is meant when the rules say "Any words that wouldn't have been aired in a 1950s television show, are unwelcome here as well." Yes 1950s values about issues such as racism, gender roles, and such are very different from today. That is not the point. Language used on television in the 1950s is far cleaner than today. There is nothing hypocritical about that. You know exactly what is meant and you are trying to be difficult. Like GD said, if you don't like the rules...you are free to leave.

6. Guano

Guano New Member

Thanks for your permission to leave.

7. Guano

Guano New Member

Wouldn't it be easier to give us a link to FCC banned words from the 50's...My edited can't find one, it was all about context more so than the word being used in the 50's.

8. Detecto92

Dude! Your making a big deal over nothing. Just don't say any words you wouldn't say in front of your grandmother. Or if you want to be more in depth look up "George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words". There you will find a list of words you should never say on here. Capeche?

9. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Guano you are beginning to sound like some left wing extremist my friend. I suppose you cut the soup to thin. 1950's as in socially acceptable behavior. No swearing or belittling other people for no apparent reason. Pretty cut and dry right? You better take that rhetoric back to detroit.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

personally I think guano is trying to get banned and is enjoying playing a cat and mouse game until the inevitable happens

11. mikenoodle

actually, he's right, JCB. Many people not of that 50s generation don't find it to be so wholesome and good. Racism, sexism and homophobia were accepted practices and we, as people, (well, some of us), have since learned that these behaviors are unacceptable and have no place in a civilized society.

I think that Peter means it to say that if your language wasn't allowed on TV prior to 1960, then you shouldn't say it here, but the message could be delivered in a clearer way

12. Detecto92

I couldn't agree more.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

But that's what the rules say: "Any words that wouldn't have been aired in a 1950s television show, are unwelcome here as well."

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Now that does sound like the good old McCarthy 1950s in the US ... Apart from that I agree - while I am not sure what television was like about 60 years ago ;) the idea behind that rule or guideline is quite obvious.

Christian

15. mikenoodle

I agree, Camaro. I was referring to a quote in some posting or signature line, or something like that by Peter which was on every page about keeping things here like on a 50s TV show, (paraphrasing) but I can no longer find the quote. It may have been replaced years ago for all that I know.

Doug's post in the rules forum is very clear, but was not what I originally was referring to.

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

It's actually part of the very same Rules post. http://www.cointalk.com/t34131/ Have look at the "Code of Honor" there. :)

Christian

17. Guano

Guano New Member

Being that my Grandmal is black and her first langue is Spanish negro is ok to use and was ok to us on news programming in the 50's....I just got a three point infraction for saying negro. The rule is way to broad and the young mods here have no idea of what was pc to say on air in the 50's...the three point infraction should be removed and the rule needs to be more clear...I called myself a negro, who's that a personal attack on?

18. Detecto92

[​IMG]

19. Guano

Guano New Member

I haven't used a single word that GC used in his 1972 act and the only reason that act is so famous is because he said the words over and over and over again just for shock value, many acts before his used those same words in a different context and the FCC let them air.

20. mikenoodle

You not only are wrong, but you have no idea how much so

21. Guano

Guano New Member

I shouldn't generalize, a few of the young mods is what I should have said ...why else would I get three points for calling myself a negro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.