Where is silver going?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lucky Cuss, Feb 12, 2014.

?

The price of silver is next going to...

Poll closed Feb 22, 2014.
  1. ...dip below $18

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. ...rise to over $22

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. ...take off and get back to at least $30 within the year

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

The $350 value, and the $250 value, are likely based on design and workmanship, not precious metal content.

Think about it. $250 worth of silver at today's prices would be 12.6 ounces (13.6 oz for sterling). Do you realize how heavy that is? Have you held a one ounce silver coin? Have you held twelve of them? Most people haven't, so imagine holding 66 quarters in your hand. That is how much $250 worth of silver would weigh. Is that how heavy your mother's co-worker's ring is?

bkozak33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

At one time, aluminum was considered a rare precious metal and was more valuable than silver. Large amounts of ore were later found and it is now very cheap.

4. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

While I wouldn't mind seeing the price of silver go lower, I wouldn't want it to be cheaper than aluminum. That would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

bugo likes this.
  5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I just don't want MS 70 peace and Morgan dollars, walking Liberty and Franklin (and 1964) halves, and silver quarters and dimes melted down, so I hope the prices stay low.

6. Slider

Slider Member

nobody is melting MS70 or other high grade coins. the culls are what are getting melted first, and although that may have the effect of making higher grade coins more valuable by reducing the overall population, it also creates a barrier to entry for young/new collectors who have long relied on culls as a way to get into the hobby.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The aluminum ore was always there. We knew it was one of the most common metals on earth. The problem was the aluminum would not release from the ore. It wasn't until someone invented the current process of passing electricity through a slurry of the ore that aluminum became cheap.

Same general idea as yours sir, but different facts why it became cheap. Btw, the Washington Monument is topped in aluminum, from the time when it was expensive. Just think how it would look if they had put silver up there instead!

8. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Silver is up a bit, but it's doing its usual down to near $19 and up to $23, rinse, wash repeat cycle.

9. Slider

Slider Member

Silver hasn't traded at $23 since Aug/Sept 2013. Heck, it hasn't even traded north of $22 since last November. I'm no chart expert, but the peaks in this cycle are getting smaller and smaller - my gut tells me that doesn't bode well for the near term price of silver.

10. Eminem

Eminem Active Member

Naw he just took you to school homie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Homie? White guy? LOL.......

12. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

It dipped down to $18.80, and now is up to about 19.65, so maybe we've hit bottom?

13. Slider

Slider Member

Because it bounced less than a dollar? It's been doing that (followed by a decline) for more than 6 months now.

14. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

dunno... perhaps... over the past year the price has not stayed under $19 very long. With such a strong move downward from $30, I figured $15 would be in the bag already.

15. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

We have dipped below $19, so now we are on the rebound. I think it will hit around $23 again and then tank back below $19, rinse, wash, repeat. Just a guess based on the last year or so. What do you think it will do?

16. Slider

Slider Member

Based on the chart, I don't see it hitting $23 on its next bounce. The peaks are getting smaller, not larger.

17. I see silver dropping to 16 or maybe even 15. Then the economic cycle will slip again and it will be back to 28ish. I always think buying high grade coins raw or slabbed is a better call than junk or bullion. With the older coins, you have a huge historical value beyond just its melt. Older high grade classics are where i tend to shoot for. If silver gets that low thats a great time to stock up on junk 90% in bulk though.....you will never lose money, and have a chance to rescue some beauties or rarities. Just my humble opinion....

18. Morganpeace11

Morganpeace11 New Member

I like to think silver investing is a real learning curve. I am presently accumulating MS 65 Morgans for very long term investment. I do love junk silver both US and Canadian. I also like Canadian Maples (no milk spots please). Having a good balance of silver is important to max out in the mid/long term. anybodys guess in short term 1-2 years.

coinaddict1795 likes this.
  19. Del Pinto

Del Pinto Active Member

2014 is over. Within the year (from 2/12/14) Ag dipped and nearly recovered then dropped to the 11/6/14 low (15.28) and closed 2014 at 16. From the poll, Silver fell -23.8%.

Only 27% of the bullionists voting in February were correct; of 18 opinions (some formed late-in-the-game?) in replies, 33% were decidedly bearish and therefore correct. Only half of those (3) were bold in their opinion "Under $18" ~17% of respondents.

6 opinions were cautiously bearish but largely non-committal. That's neither right nor wrong and probably gets a penalty for waffling :)

73% of bullionists voting were rather worse than just wrong; 8 opinions (44%) were forecasting Silver over $30 in 2014.

Group Bias: It makes sense that those holding bullion are exceedingly bullish, but it's also useful to see and admit the board was more wrong (2x-3x) than right in their (February) Forecast for Ag in 2014.

Also see this poll:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/opinion-poll-how-low-will-silver-go-in-the-next-year.252544/

41% were already proven wrong, but of those still correct, 44% voted "Under $13." No idea how often people flip-flop, but that was a strong bearish shift from February.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

Silver going to break $24.00 and heading to $30.00 this year.
    Gold should be between $1,450.00 to $1,550.00 an ounce. While platinum should be lag behind gold at least $200.00.

21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I read that silver may go up to around $18 or $19, then test $16, then to da moon. (which means maybe over $20)

Draft saved Draft deleted