Where are all the great threads?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dctjr80, May 10, 2010.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

:eek: Wow, I never expected that! Five years hey? Hmm i've been gone longer than I thought!

To be honest i'm kind of semi-retired as far as collecting goes, I have periods of frenzied activity and then nothing for about a year or two. So I know it can be done.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acan451

acan451 Sample Slab Collector

I have not been here very long, but I do enjoy this form, and the people I have met.
    Alan

4. NG4

NG4 New Member

That's cool and all good. But for new guys like me I wouldn't know where to find these threads... nor even what I'm looking for at this stage. I find tons of stuff to read on the net..I'll look in here more often.
    Maybe in addition to TOTW... you should have a Threads Of All Time sub forum so the really well researched and written articles are there for all to see... even us noobs.

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well when you see something you would like to know more about just use that "Search" and type in the name of what it is your interested in.
    There will most likely be lots of threads to read. It's your pick :D

6. SouthCapeCoins

SouthCapeCoins New Member

We're thinking of starting a thread specifically for rare South African coins. Do any of you think something niche like that would take off? I know that this is an international site with a lot of focus on US coins, but we simply don't have any coin forums in South Africa. Also, we'd like to see what the interest is like for rare South African coins, and how many people outside of the country collect them. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I believe that there are others like me that would enjoy seeing some threads about South African coins. Of course, they should be posted in the World & Ancient section. I have some coins from South Africa that I could possibly post. I'm sure they are nice coins but probably nothing you would consider rare.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ask and you shall receive ;) - http://www.cointalk.com/content/ - all you have to do at any time is click on the Home link at the top of every page.

For information on just about any subject try looking here - http://www.cointalk.com/f33/

9. NG4

NG4 New Member

LOL.. yes,,, tyvm.. I know how to use a Search filed. :::rollseyes::
    I'm referring to the fact, and I stated this, that oft times I may not even know what to look for...
    If there is a tread about Lydian coins and the fact that they were the first coins and what to look for blah blah blah.... and it is an excellent thread from top to bottom... how would I know to look for it. BUT.. if it was obviously in front of me i might be a wee bit more inclined to read and therefore become interested in yet one more facet of numismatics. (numismatism?)

Anyways... just a thought.

Oh.. and you state that if I see something that I like to use the search field. is that going to bump a killer well written/researched thread to the top. No. I still have to sift through the dreck to get to the gold.

10. NG4

NG4 New Member

Ahhh.. nevermind.. I see my idea has already been put forward...

11. cman

cman Junior Member

I used to live in SA and dont have any old or rare coins from there but i would be VERY interested in a SA coin thread. I have some i would post

12. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A "Dish" To Remember!

WOW!! Some tasty tidbits you've added to the meal. I'm in appreciation of the ingredients you've added to our sometimes tasteless stew.

Recipients of my cuisine will generally attest to the stimulating sensor evoking ingredients that result in memorable satisfaction.

Great "Edible Fare" is generally the result of commonplace ingredients being prepared in a proper fashion to complement and evoke stimulation of appropriate senses.

What I've found to be essential in the preparation, is the addition of spicy ingredients, and proper agitation at appropriate times.

I believe the majority of objective individuals visiting this venue, tasting your spicy additions with appropriately deserved agitation, will as I, appreciate your efforts/ingredients.

Hopefully, we jointly can find ingredients, add palatable spice, and stir properly to generate a memorable enlightening concoction that's fulfilling to all.

Just "food for thought"!
    :thumb:

13. GDJMSP

LOL ! Only you Rich, only you :smile

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

your askin for a brush fire

15. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I heard that there used to be a thread of the week award. This could be a major stimulous in bringing back indepth knowlegable threads?

major-award.jpg

16. GDJMSP

Just so happens I was given one those exact awards :D Still not sure for what though.

As for the TOTW, it can't be done anymore. That's why we don't have it. But we do have what I already linked to.

And as I stated previously, it's up to YOU GUYS to create great threads. Nobody else.

17. SouthCapeCoins

SouthCapeCoins New Member

South African coin thread

Thanks for the comments and interest in a potential rare coin thread. We will look to start a new thread under 'world coins' this week and it would be great if people posted whatever South African coins they have in their collection, whether or not they're considered rare. It's still good to see what people have out there.

Looking forward to connecting with interested parties there.

Thanks,

Georgia (South Cape Coins)

18. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

I still think this site is best for coin knowledge. Every time I google/search for answers regarding a coin, cointalk shows up (with all the answers)

19. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

This is a very good at coin and precious metal knowledge IMO and using the words "Great Threads" is very subjective. However, since I do not post here nearly as much as I used to, then I cannot answer the question of "Where are all the great threads".

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

how do I create a thread?

21. GDJMSP

Has it really been so long that you have forgotten Ruben ?

Pick the section you want to post in - US Coins, Coin Chat - whatever. Then just click on the Post New Thread button.

Draft saved Draft deleted