What's the most you've ever spent on a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pumpkinpie, May 16, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Does a PCGS or NGC piece of plastic make such a rare coin any better? Is my Marc Antony coin LESS of a coin since its not hermetically sealed in NGC plastic?

I guess I don't understand how a TPG slab would improve a rare coin.

Now, if you ever sold it the GRADE the TPG gave a more common coin may matter, but that is not the case with a 1913 LHN is it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

You are kidding right. Would you buy a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel without authentication from a TPG?

4. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

It's a repro. In the the words of Collect89, "the reverse of the coin clearly states that is Certified Often at Pompous Yard sales (COPY)." He also said that he put the nickel into an old ANACS slab put in a Coin World shell for a coin related joke. None of the 5 genuine 1913 proofs are in ANACS slabs.

5. medoraman

Heck yeah I would. If the provenance were there, that is more important than what a TPG thinks of it.

I know its scary for you to believe it Paul, but I buy coins for 4 figures with no TPG safety net. I KNOW, shocker huh!

Now, am I going on Ebay and buying trade dollars? No, I am not stupid. I buy nice coins from reliable professional dealers. Put an ANACS 1913 Liberty Head nickel in a Bowers sale, have it written up its provenance of who owned it, and if I have millions to spend on one the TPG would not concern me.

6. Lehigh96

What if the provenance is real and the coin is a fake?

7. medoraman

And the auction house does not have their own experts? Every person who authenticates coins works for a TPG?

Sorry man, but large firms have managed to authenticate coins they sell for hundreds of years, long before TPG began. In fact, many of the original graders for TPG companies came from the large auction houses.

I simply do not feel that every coin in the world HAS to be in plastic for it to be considered a real coin. Evidently you do. To each his own.

8. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Heck NO.....I ain't answering that.....NO WAY !!!

My wife is a snooper...I mean SNOOPER.

. thCAGRD210.jpg

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And I remember a Hawaii-5-0 episode where one is stolen from a coin show and the guy evades detection by (gulp) putting it in a newspaper machine.

10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I agree.Even grades would just be a trivia queston if there is
    only 5. Those interested in them, or their agents,
    would know the order of quality with or without a
    TPG blessing.

11. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

paid over $200 for each of these... overpaid for the first one...
    edward i kingston.jpg
    aethelred ii penny.jpg

12. Lehigh96

Sorry man, but times change. No reputable auction house would offer a notable rarity without TPG authentication. In fact, Heritage stopped allowing uncertified US coins in their auctions years ago. The last time I bought a rare coin from Heritage was 2002. And it is not me who demands that coins be professionally graded, it is the market that demands it.

13. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

14. medoraman

I know this is an old post Paul, but I never saw it at the time. Sarah just bumped up the thread.

Sorry, I am just laughing my rear off here at my desk. I just placed over 5 figures of bids for a European auction this month, and I believe the total auction will be well into the millions if not tens of millions of dollars realized, and not one coin is certified by a TPG.

Care to rephrase again how "no reputable auction house would ever offer a notable rarity that was not certified"? Did you mean US rarity? You may be right, but even that would make me sad if US buyers would refuse to buy the King of Siam proof set without some slabbing company approving of it first.

15. Lehigh96

Of course I meant US coins. I even referred to it in that post when I stated that Heritage stopped allowing uncertified US coins in their auctions years ago. I apologize for forgetting about the darksiders. I promise you that if the King of Siam set ever hits the auction block, the coins will be certified by either PCGS or NGC despite your outrage.

16. medoraman

Not outrage sir, just sadness at the seeming necessity of it. I read your clarification of Heritage but the verbage before was unclear.

17. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

$450 for a AGE $50.

18. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Under $1200 for my avatar 1971 No S proof Jefferson. Had to get one sooner or later.

19. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

$6500 for one coin and $22000 at one show.

20. Witty38

Witty38 Member

Paid $550 for a 1884 CC Morgan, slabbed and graded MS64 by PGCS. I didn't like it though, because it had toning in the lower half. So I traded it 6 months later for $500 credit at a coin show and got (5) ASE Proofs from year 1993-97! Hmmm, wonder what's worth more now?

21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I spent $850 for a Double Eagle back in 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted