What Would PCGS Grade My 1909-S VDB

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, May 25, 2013.

?

What Would the PCGS Grade Be?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. Genuine (Ungradable)

8.3%
  2. VF-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. VF-25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. VF-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. VF-35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. EF-40

19.4%
  7. EF-45

19.4%
  8. AU-50

33.3%
  9. AU-53

5.6%
  10. AU-55

11.1%
  11. AU-58

2.8%
  12. MS-60 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

As I posted recently, I was given a raw 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent for my birthday. I have been considering submitting it to PCGS to be graded. What do you think the grade would come as if submitted to PCGS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

AU50/53 if it gets graded. As sticky as they are now, I don't know about yours.

4. dustywallen

dustywallen Member

IMO AU-55 BN

Dusty

5. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I'm not an expert coin grader but the wear on the high points of the obverse is very visible. For this reason, I rate it an EF45, though it might be AU50-AU53 depending on how pennies are typically graded.

Update: I see PCGS is very liberal with regard to Lincoln cents, so I will go with a lower-range AU.

6. Sliderguy

Sliderguy Member

I think you got a FAKE S mint 1909 VDB cent. I need this one for my set. So, please save your money and send it my way. I will pay you 3 dollars and a :)

BTW. Happy B=Day. All kidding aside, AU55 is strong and reasonable grade for this coin. Good Luck

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 45 or maybe 50. The image gives it a shinny look that makes me wonder if it would grade.

8. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

I'm thinking AU 50-55 if you can that that spot off the rim.

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It might just get a bump to 50 for being a key. The wheat grains are strong but the lines trouble me. I don't think the reverse ding will keep it from grading. On a grumpy PCGS day, 40-45.

Keep in mind, there is a chance they would genuine it if the color looks off in hand. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, so don't sweat it and get on to sending it. :)

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Me too. My guess, it's oil of some kind. Maybe Blue Ribbon or Coin Care.

11. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

12. flathead62

flathead62 Member

Nice B-day gift,happy birthday!! Imo a strong AU.

13. dustywallen

dustywallen Member

I agree that the color of the coin doesn't seem to match the wear in the coin. Never the less as stated before I believe it's still an AU example. Now what they grade it is different. Even with the spot on the obverse at 4-5 o'clock I think it's a very nice coin and something to be proud of.

Dusty

14. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I have to say I am in the camp of No Grade, because of the surfaces

Mike

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I should have said. I love the coin and would have no problem seeing it in my collection. Still a great coin.

16. CamaroDMD

The color of the coin in the photos doesn't really represent the color in hand. The photo gives it almost a lacquered look which it does not have in hand. I think it is the lighting I used (I had a really hard time getting a clear photo). The only issue with the coin I see in hand is the spot on the rim...which I don't know what it is.

17. CamaroDMD

Here are some new photos that better illustrate the color. The focus isn't that great, but the color is more accurate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jo Money

Jo Money Junior Senior Member

Looks like a low AU to me, but the reverse might be better than the obverse. Coincidentally, the poll ends on my birthday!

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That image changed my opinion. I bet it will grade.

20. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Great coin man! I voted it at an EF-40 but after looking at the responses I'm reconsidering and think it might come back EF-45 maybe. In my opinion EF-45 is a bit of a stretch while AU is out of the question. Whatever the case may be this 1909-S is definitely an amazing coin. Congrats!

21. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Agree, it looks GREAT in the second set of pics. It will slab IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted