What to do with copper pennies?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mattunion99, Apr 14, 2011.

1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Well, I search mine for varieties and errors, sort by date and mint. Then I stick them back in the paper tubes and bank boxes I reuse. Pile them in different places. lol Maybe someone will want to search them again someday ?

But I have heard that some people pay traffic tickets with them ?

gary

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SWThirteen

SWThirteen Needs a 24/7 Coin Shop

What do you do if the bucket falls over? PENNIES EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

There's another thread with the exact same title, look there.

5. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and didn't see the thread.

By the way, I listed six rolls as individual auctions. I sold one roll for $4.50, so I guess that's better than nothing.

6. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

you sold a roll of pre 1982 cents for
    $4.50? Wow!

7. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I respectfully disagree. It's just like aluminum cans-- it's far cheaper to smelt a nearly pure product and turn it into something else, than to dig up raw ore from the ground (which in this case might contain 5% copper and 95% slag), transport it to a beneficiation plant, process it into concentrate, and ship the concentrate to another place that turns the copper concentrate into ingots or other intermediate products.

8. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

That includes the cost of shipping, and I listed them as pre-1983 cents. I included all 1982 pennies, and left it to the buyer to determine which ones were copper. I don't have a scale, or the patience to weigh them myself.:smile

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I drop test mine. Bounce them on a solid surface, if they ring, they're copper, if they thud, they're zinc. You can test it on a post '82 and a pre '82 if you wanna hear what the copper/zinc difference is before you start bouncing '82's.

10. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

I guess you learn something every day-thanks Merc!

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

The sound test is easy.

I can't believe they went for $4.50. That is quite interesting....

12. Merc Crazy

Probably someone who didn't realize what the shipping cost was.

13. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

You're probably right. I started the bidding at $.99, and included a Buy It Now for $1.50. I figured it would cost me about $3 to get a padded envelope, postage, an elivery confirmation, so that put it right at $4.50.

But still, $1.50 on a $.50 roll of pennies is not bad! And I may have one of those padded envelopes around the house somehwere already.

14. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have taken a popsicle stick and mounted it over a pencil with a push pin. Centered like a small teeter-totter. Then taped a pre '81 cent to one end. A copper cent will balance. Anyway, since I don't hear well, the simple balance scale works for me.

15. Merc Crazy

I just listed $600 face in copper cents on eBay in $100 lots, $200 shipped BIN. I'll let ya guys know if any sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted