What is this 1996 dime and value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Yankeepride517, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Yankeepride517

Yankeepride517 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Is that the true color of the obverse? What does the reverse look like? It could be missing the clad layer, but I'm not 100% sure.

Chris

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

5. Rick Stachowski

6. Rick Stachowski

all most looks like a railroad error, and that would be a good sign for clad layer missing

7. Yankeepride517

The coin looks the same on both sides and I don't have a way of weighing it.i do know the the coin is a little smaller than a normal dime.

8. Rick Stachowski

what color is the rim on the coin

9. Yankeepride517

Like a normal dime

10. Rick Stachowski

could be a camp firer coin too, or from extreme heat

11. Yankeepride517

image.jpg image.jpg . Is it rare and what could the value be.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think it is just dirty or something else. Not an error. You can see the silver color on both the obverse and reverse which makes me want to rule out missing a clad layer.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Weighing it would make it easier to make a determination.

Chris

14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

copperwash??

15. Yankeepride517

It's not dirty and I wish I could weigh it but I don't have a way.

16. Yankeepride517

What is copper wash?

17. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

18. Yankeepride517

Thanks that was helpfull and u might be right but this is one of the better ones I have seen and is there any value to these.

19. Yokozuna

Yokozuna No Fear Of Change

Sorry if my answer to your question in eBay upset you, I only wanted to try to help. :( That's why I said you should ask some smarter people than me. I'm glad you found Coin Talk.

I have "Black Beauty" 1959 nickel in NGC MS-65 that's improperly annealed, but the surface is dark grey, so I didn't think of that as a reason for your dime's color.

I did an advanced search on eBay and found 3 "copper washed" dimes that sold ranging from $14.99 to $46.99, and I found a 1978 dime in NGC MS-65 slab that went for $65.00.

I had one dime with the obverse clad layer missing that I sold a few years ago. NoCladDime.jpg
    It was 1.84 grams and you can tell the strike is weak because of the missing layer.

Good luck with the eBay sale! I'll put your coin on my watch list to see what happens.

I also want to thank you for reminding me about Coin Talk! I joined several years ago and forgot about it. I'm that way. I don't remember things as well as I used to.

I'm back now and have lots of people that have sent me questions, so if they are still around and still want to talk about the coins I posted, I'll be working on replies.

Thanks!
    Ben

20. ReneeBoyko72

ReneeBoyko72 New Member

I believe I might just have a dual clad missing on a 2001D U.S. Dime? Actually I’m pretty sure I do! Can someone help me out and maybe help me verify it? It looks much different than this persons dime. I will post pics here. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How much does it weigh?
    The clad is not missing from both sides as it would weigh very very light.
    Your coin is rusted or environmentally damaged.
    A missing clad is generally from one side, and that side copper will be brighter than
    yours. Here is a partial so you can see the color:
    dsc_0132_3.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted