What does this 80 S Morgan grade at NGC?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Aug 10, 2012.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This guy is going in this coming week... anyone wanna take a crack at what it will grade?

80s1.jpg 80s2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I'm not good at grading these. But I would say MS 66 on up, I think it's a PL as well. Very nice coin.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I can't fully tell from the photograph but i was going to say say 65. I started at 64 and climbed up. It is a great strike. Is it proof? It has the rub marks on the high points of the cap ect, and I can't figure out what all that noise in in the fields. The strike is perfect... so I bumped it up to a 65, assuming the fields noise in only in the photograph and there are no bag marks to speak of, just the rub marks.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

A little nick on her rim. I like her at MS65PL.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Interesting. I didn't see that on the reverse but I haven't changed my mind.

9. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I would say 65pl as well

10. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I'm at MS65PL the frost break on the cheek is the main distraction to my eye.

11. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

65n1.. pl... nice coin.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My grade I'm torn between 64PL and 65PL. I don't like the frost break on the cheek or the obv and rev rim dings. And the rims seem to have a lot of light chatter. For an '80-S, think I'd have to stick at 64PL, but a high end one.

NGC - who knows. I expect they'll say at least 65PL but 66PL sure won't surprise me. Honestly don't believe the coin deserves it though.

13. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Thinking 64PL, with the cheek break and some chatter on the reverse fields, nice coin overall!

14. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

64* or 65. I'd love to be able see it in hand to see how PL it is. Its frosty but does it reflect is the question.

15. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

64 PL. I don't like the mark on her chin, or it would be an easy 65/66.

16. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

while the slight mark on he cheek does not help the grade by any means, this is still a amazing coin. I would give it a MS-65PL to MS-66PL. The strike and overall great details, few and minor nicks and the 'wow' factor propel this Morgan into the MS-65+ range (for comparison, my avatar coin is a MS-66 ;) )

17. x115

x115 Collector

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I believe that 1880-S have good strikes, although I could be wrong.

19. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

20. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I say NGC will give it a 66, I give it a 65 . At minimum it will get pl with a *

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's also a big reason. Think "eye movement through the coin." The engraver was controlling that through his use of detail and depth. Where he chose to put that detail and depth is where your eye always comes back to. That graze distorts that intended eye movement through that coin just enough to meaningfully affect the grade. Your eye isn't supposed to be coming back to the chin but with that graze on that coin it is. Why is that meaningful? It's meaningful because, surprisingly or not, the way your eye moves through a coin is the chief determinant of how you feel about that coin.

Am I going too fast for you boys and girls? :smile

PS: And that's true of any artwork...

Draft saved Draft deleted