what are these and value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jiggysmb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I was given some "ancient" coins and am wondering what their proper names are. I found 2 on the bay with very large price ranges but havent found anything like the copper coin. Any guess on prices would be appreciated. Also, would it be unwise to try to wick off the solder on the gold coin?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NO! Don't remove the solder.

That said, someone else will help out shortly

4. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

You could take the gold piece to a goldsmith and he can carefully remove the excess solder but you will still have some residue of it left on the coin. Do not have him attempt to clean that off as by trying to do that it will make it worse than it is now.

5. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

any idea on values or the names of these coins?? I see the gold coin is a colonial American coin that was minted in Spain and the silver coin is called a Drachm but not sure the others proper names. The gold and silver coin seem to be in much better condition than most I find on eBay with similar completed auction selling each for 220-300. I may need to sell one or both so any input on value is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  6. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

It seem the coin I thought was copper is bronze and is called a Thrace, from Maroneia. Not many have sold on the bay but the only readable one I saw ended at $38. Hopefully the other 2 are worth a bit more...

7. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

8. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Any idea on value of the gold and silver coins?
    I see a graded gold coin in worn condition slabbed as VF sold for 375. Would it not be worth grading with the solder on the coin?

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

1. It is a problem coin and may not be gradable. With the solder on it, it may not even fit properly in a holder. How high does it extend off the coin's surface?

10. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I have other old coins graded from PCGS that fit very loosely in their slab so I doubt that would be a concern. The bump is barely raised, maybe a half of a mm. Seeing the coin is not damaged and the more worn coins selling, I would think one with these details would be desirable to a collector despite the solder. I have a guy interested in buying in the 200-300 range. I was hoping someone here could provide a rough value of all the coins as I rarely come across these types. Is there a better thread to post old coins in?

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

IMHO, that coin would not be worth as much as a more worn piece due to the presence of the solder. It's a damaged coin...and damaged coins don't realize the same price as more worn problem free coins. If this coin is a desirable date (which I have no idea)...perhaps there is some value there. If not, it might only be worth the melt value.

12. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Thanks Camaro. After reading the definition of a damaged coin, I felt differently. It seemed for a coin to be damaged, the coin would need to be scratched badly or missing a piece of material. Something attached to a coin seems not to take away from value. I will be bringing it to a professional today that has shown interest in the all 3 of the coins, I will let you know how it works out.

13. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I guess most guys dont really know the prices of these old coins, it has been hard getting a price anywhere. The coin guy offered $40 for the bronze and $100 on the Drachm. He seemed very impressed with the condition of the Drachm and the gold coin. He said the solder wasnt a problem but would need to be "soaked off". He said he could use dilluted acid to eat it away. He said he has seen them sell for 600-800 in similar condition but offered $200 in current condition. He offered to clean it for me for a fee but I took the coins and said I would come back after thinking about it.

14. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Well the 1786 Spanish coin appears to be a 'DV', looks like the edge of the V showing from under the solder, the NGC guide price for XF is $240

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/wo...tegory=8439&worldcoinid=30971&FromSearch=true

I'd be surprised if they sold for $600+ but I've also not check completed sales prices.

There is a rarer 1786 that has an S where the DV would be but I think yours is a DV above.
    1786S link:
    http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/world-coin-prices.aspx?category=8440&worldcoinid=30975

Draft saved Draft deleted