What are the top 5 World Nations most folks collect?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SilverForLife, Jul 24, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Paula
    Tuvia
    Fiji
    andora

Sounds like you are naming off former girlfriends. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Their full names are Paula Palau, Tuvia Tuvalu, and Andora Andorra, I suppose. Fiji has no last name. ;)

Christian

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Or callin' the pups........:)

5. peter1234

peter1234 Member

Britain
    France
    Italy
    Spain

The USA has no history.That is why collectors of 100 years ago concentrated on the British currency

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

But not Margie or Sally?

7. medoraman

Interesting you talk about the UK having "history" when your list doesn't include China and India which had made coins for centuries while Brits were still chasing marsh deer in blue paint and loincloths. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Btw, the US does have history, the history of the people who came here from all over the world. A brit who came to the US did not lose his history, he just became an American.

8. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Yes and no, perhaps, maybe, kinda sorta, possibly, to some extant. It's complicated I guess.

At this point, I have a heart full of neutrality. :p

9. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I'm not sure, but I would guess U.K., Mexico, Canada, China, Ancient Rome/Greece...

10. USMCVET1775

USMCVET1775 New Member

Every person will have a different answer.

11. petronius

petronius Duke

Yeah ;)

For me, this could be a reasonable rank, excluding Italy, of course

Germany
    France
    UK
    Russia
    Austria

I excluded USA too, as requested by thread, but I think that US coins in Italy are the first or second place.

petronius :cool:

12. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

These are just my own collecting principles outside the U.S., and yes I admit they are U.S.-centric since I don't read any language that uses any other alphabet, save Russian, so Chinese, Indian etc. are out for me.

1. Canadian
    2. Australian
    3. Great Britain (although I include its various fomer colonies which extended far and wide)
    4. France
    5. Germany

Best Regards,

George

13. medoraman

Fair enough sir. I guess I was just explaining that your answer of Mexico was really the same as my answer of Spain, same thought but different reasoning. :)

14. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

Thanks for the Italian perspective:hail:

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

USA is my darkside. My usuals are Scotland, Russia, England, Ireland, Portugal and Poland with a lesser amount of Germany.

16. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

What dates did Scotland make coins? any Silver coins?

17. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i do believe it started in the 9th century, and continued until scotland joined great britain in 1707. many of the coins are silver. david i is credited with coining the first silver penny in scotland. he reigned from 1124 to 1153.

18. medoraman

For anyone interested, Bob Reis just did Scotland the last two issues of World Coin News. Pretty interesting articles. What I liek is how he goes over market availability of the coins he talks about fro each ruler.

19. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I read that Indian coins are good to buy because of Indian interest in them but people buy English Halfpennies to get an example from the colonial era. I have been looking at them myself.

20. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

:secret:
    Shhhhh! Wait till I get the ones I want. British halfpennies are still relatively inexpensive:

HP1770.jpg HP1770r.jpg H P 1773o.jpg HP1773r.jpg

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted