Was This Out of Line?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Aug 21, 2012.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

So, I was perusing eBay looking for potential coins to add to my collection when I found one I liked. The seller had it listed for $120...so I looked it up on HA to compare prices and see if it was reasonable. Not only did I find comparables...but I found the exact same coin had sold on HA in June for $56. There was a "best offer" feature for this auction so I sent the seller a message and simply asked him what the best price he would take using the "best offer" feature. Then I added something like, "I see this coin sold on Heritage for $56 on June ?, 2012 (can't remember the exact date)." I don't want to seem rude...but I wanted to be clear that the coin is overpriced and that I'm an educated seller. Do you think this was an acceptable thing to do?

I don't want to beat around the bush...I want his best fair price. I know he has to make money...and who knows, the coin may have changed hands several times between HA and now. But more than 2x the HA price from 2 months ago seems excessive.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It is excessive, and a lot of guys try to flip this way. E-bay is a terrific trolling ground to reel 'em in. You probably P/O'd him with that question Rich.

jello likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You have to take into consideration a few other things. There are ebay fees, HA buyers premium, Paypay fees and profit. It may seem excessive to charge twice what he paid for it, but I'm sure his profit is no where near 100%.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Richie,

As a seller, I do think this is out of line. The seller lists a BIN price and then gives the option of best offer. I don't mind you telling the seller that you know the coin sold for $56, but to ask him what his lowest price is seems out of line to me and is my pet peeve on E-Bay. Instead of expecting the seller to give you the best deal possible, simply make an offer that you think is fair. That puts the ball back in his court and he then has the option to accept, decline, or counter.

When buyers ask me for my best price, I lie. For example, if I have a $100 coin for sale and by lowest acceptable offer price is $80 and someone asks me what my lowest price is, I will usually say $90. It works better than what I want to say which is "what is the most you will pay for the coin?"

Paul

19Lyds, Endeavor and mikenoodle like this.
  6. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

+1. IMHO, the only thing that makes it "unacceptable" is the fact that you told him the price it sold for awhile ago while then asking how low he would be willing to go. If I was that seller, I would feel like I'm being trapped in a corner, since it's obvious I can't give a concise answer/offer without making the buyer feeling peeved since s/he might think "Why the heck are you asking for $$$ when I already told you it sold for $ recently?"

Of course, I might spell out the whole reason why the price might seem inflated, i.e.: fees, BP, shipping, etc. (as Lehigh said) in addition to the off-chance that the coin actually under-sold at Heritage, making it worth more than its realized price anyways. But explaining all that would annoy me and only make it appear like I'm beating around the bush.

That's how I would feel at least, as a fellow eBay seller.

7. CamaroDMD

I'm not going to beat around the bush with sellers. If he gives me a response that I am willing to accept I will buy...it not I will pass. And that $56 is with the BP. I might offer less than his best price too...who knows.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

For most coins, my rule of thumb is offer about 15 to 20% less than what they are asking. It usually goes well, but not always.

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

If he is an educated seller, more than likely he knows that price already. To me the only reason I think its unacceptable was that you stated both the sold price on HA and asked him for his lowest settling price. A simple question of how much would he accept would have been fine.

10. CamaroDMD

See, I don't see anything wrong with this. I illustrated that I know the history of the piece. He is welcome to demand any amount for the coin...and I am welcome to not pay it. If he had it priced a little closer to it's recently auctioned price...I wouldn't have mentioned it at all...but 2x the HA price seemed a little steep to me.

11. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, actually I do believe it is a bit out of line, because I have always figured the price someone paid for a coin is irrelevant. It is just how much the coin is worth. He has no more of an obligation to pass on his good fortune, if he got the coin cheap, than he does to over charge you if he paid too much.

But more important than that, with that approach, I think the seller will just dig his heels in because you ticked him off, and you will not walk away with the coin at a good price. Since has a Best Offer option, you can start there and play the game. It may be a PITA, but it is called "the art of the deal" not "the science of the deal"

When I was in retail sales, my best deals were to people I liked and to people who wore me down. After spending some time with a customer, it was like, I spent too much time with this guy to walk away with nothing, and if he was a pleasant chap, it made it much easier to do the deal he wanted. Someone who tried to bottom line me, right out of the box, usually did not get the best price possible

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

As sellers on ebay you have to expect that once in awhile you are gonna get someone who ask you as question that bothers you. Not only that, if you buy and re-sell as many of us do you may have someone pull your covers like you did to that seller in this case. Who cares if the guy got PO'd. With that said, you may pay through the nose if you still want to buy the coin from that seller tho'. :D

Was it out of line?. Obviously it was otherwise the dude wouldn't have gotten so PO'd. Onward to the next coin and the next seller. :D

13. CamaroDMD

Actually...the price that coin sold for on HA (whither this seller bought it there or not)...is about the normal going rate for this coin. There were other examples that had sold. So, he didn't really get "good fortune" on it. Plus, if my question does "tick him off" and he digs in his heels...then I'll simply move on.

He hasn't even responded yet. All I have said is what I asked him, I made no mention of a response or a reaction because there hasn't been one yet. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the question. He might be perfectly pleasant.

14. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I don't know if out of line is the term I would use. Bad negotiating tactic? Maybe. The seller knows what he paid for the coin, and more than likely knows what he needs to sell it for to make a profit after fees, shipping, etc. I doubt you will get any response other than a declined offer. As a seller, if someone sends me an offer I think is low, but reasonable, I send a counteroffer. If they send me a lowball ridiculous offer, I just decline. Like Lehigh, when someone asks me in a message what my lowest price is I always go higher than my lowest price.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but I must also agree with Lehigh. Simply offer him what you are willing to pay for it. Further commentary would be beating around the bush. If he takes it, it is yours.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

:thumb:

17. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

The price the seller paid for the coin is irrelevant. Just make him an offer that you are comfortable with and leave it at that. Hopefully you will get a nice coin for your collection and he makes a little money too.

The price he paid is something I would file away in my head when making the offer, but not something I would use as a negotiating tactic. Good luck on the deal!

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree with Paul and rlm , I think you should offer him a price you think is fair . Then see if he accepts or declines . Stating you knew how much it sold for would probably tee him off . Imagine If someone asked you whats the lowest price you would pull a tooth for and then quoting some price you gave a friend or relative , it's really none of their business .

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Hmmm. Two months ago huh?

Two months is quite a while and there's no guarantees that the current seller was the original purchaser of the coin from Heritage.

Were you out of line by stating you knew what the coin sold for on Heritage? No.
    However, when you then asked the seller for his best price, I think you just might have crossed his line and he'll either ignore you or just block you.

It is a free country after all.

Be sure to share the results of your query.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In my opinion, that's all any of us can offer, what you did was not out of line. By the same token I don't think it was very smart either. At least not for a potential buyer.

What you did in researching the coin was smart and that is what everybody should do. It would open their eyes for one thing for it is quite common for coins to be purchased on Heritage and then resold a short time later on ebay for considerably more than was paid on Heritage.

But that's not the point really. The point is that when you are buying a coin you do not tell the seller what you know or do not know. To do that places you, as the buyer, at a distinct disadvantage.

Think of it this way, if you are coin shop and you see a coin that is priced as a common variety, or it is graded 1 grade low, do you tell the seller that you know the coin is scarce variety or that it is under-graded ? No, of course not !

Same thing with this situation. It simply isn't smart to give away any advantage you may have as a buyer. You keep that to yourself. And if the deal works for you fine, if it doesn't you walk away knowing you did not make a foolish mistake.

silentnviolent and Endeavor like this.
  21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I agree with G here....

I don't think it was out of line, but I'm not sure how quoting a former sales price is germane to the discussion as to what the seller's best price is.

Said a bit differently, what does sharing that information do for the discussion?

I would have simply asked for his best price then made my decision. Another alternative would be to make your best offer and see if he passes or plays. However, he who speaks first in a negotiation tends to lose, so I would likely have gone with the former tactic over the latter.

Draft saved Draft deleted