Value of a Misprinted 1950 $20 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by euphorium, Jul 27, 2006.

1. euphorium

euphorium New Member

I have a misprinted 1950 $20 bill. It is in decent condition. Minor circulation damage. No torn edges or ink wear noticable to the eye. The front side is off-set to the right and the reversed side has a minor off set to the left.

I was researching on Google and found that in order to prove an authentic offset. Each printed side should be at different lengths from the edges of the bill. This fits that discription. I can post an image of the bill, but time will be needed. I need to scan it and find a way to show it here. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unless one side or the other is off far enough to show a portion of the next bill over there usually isn't that much interest.

4. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I also question Google's advice. There are problems with people buying uncut sheets and making "errors" by trimming them in odd ways. I don't think they were selling uncut sheets of 20$ bills in the 50s or 60s, though. It is a far more recent offering.

Also, I am not sure it is called an "offset" error in any case - that to me applies to printing/

5. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Series 1950 notes were the first to be wet printed in sheets of eighteen. Prior to that, sheets of twelve were used. The method being used often resulted in the paper shrinking. The paper would shrink within fairly wide ranges, depending on time of year and other factors, and wide variations resulted, with designs to the left or right rather than being centered being quite normal.

So, unless the design is so significantly off center that portions of other notes are visible, it will have no premium.

Draft saved Draft deleted