US silver dollar collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heineken, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ppratt3

ppratt3 Senior Member

Well the entire strike is off to me the boldness of everything from the bust to the letters and the hairlines are just to bold for the wear the coin has no doubt cleaned but u knew that. I won't touch the seated let the others fight about that. I have 100 or so other bust type coins and none look like that I know there not the dollar but close enough I would say

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Very nice collection :yes:

4. dingodonkey

dingodonkey Junior Member

I'm not expert enough to tell you what is or isn't fake, but I will say this based on my experience: even a lot of legitimate draped bust silver has that "fake look" that people on this board are picking up on.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Unfortunately, that is the state of numismatics today. The population of umarked replicas far exceed the population of genuine coins, and serious collectors are well aware of the various pitfalls that face them. The "fake look" has become the norm, as the fakes themselves are now quite convincing.. and often difficult to distinguish from photos alone. The adage of "innocent until proven guilty" no longer applies to coins, but is basically reversed to read "fake until proven genuine." I think the OP may have taken our concern as a personal insult to his collection; believe me, it was not. The possibility of obtaining fakes that are sold as genuine coins exists in increasing numbers, even more so since eBay eliminated the "replica" category. On the surface, this decision looked like an effective way to eliminate counterfeits from being sold on their site, and was lauded by most CT members. I personally was vehemently opposed to this change... it does nothing except force the sellers to hawk their wares as genuine. All those unmarked replicas are now buried in the genuine categories, to be purchased by unsuspecting buyers.

By the way Tom B.... an excellent post; thanks for sharing that info.

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I don't think the OP took it as a personal insult at all. He defended his coins as genuine, provided more info about the original slabs and took some better pictures. The OP was correct. When he provided the new info, Tom came around and agreed all was good. No harm, no foul.

Mike

7. heineken

heineken Member

Hey all, no worries, and I do not take it as a personal insult at all. Like Mike said, I defended my coins and provided all the details I could. No one wants to find out the were taken, so I might have seemed a little defensive though. And I really do appreciate all the info, I have already learned so much from all of you!!

I think when I find the next coins to this set, I am going to post the pics before I buy it and see what everyone thinks. I know there is no guarantee with pics, but again, there is a wealth of knowledge here :)

Draft saved Draft deleted