US Mint must do somethings right

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Heater, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Sitting here hunting another box of nickels and just still amazed at how many 39 P's, 40 P's, 41 P's, 46 P's, etc.. of high mintage nickels that are still out there and just doing their job (everyday transactions). Not that they are in great shape but think how old these are & "still kicking" in regular commerce is a testiment to the quality of our mint and the job they do.

The cents are still doing well also. How many wheaties do we find every box? Still out there doing their job.

John

lucyray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Oh, I do kick them back into circulation either through CWR's or the coin counter.

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I find 1960 and older nickels all the time at work. I've even found 3 war nickels, 4 buffalos, and a V nickel. I've been fortunate.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not the Zincolns. Those things rot away like nobody's business. I sometimes wonder if the mint wouldn't have saved more money by continuing minting the 95% copper cents instead of switching to copper coated zinc. They wouldn't have to mint nearly as many per year since they hold up over time.

Dunno...just a thought.

josh's coins likes this.
  6. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i have found 1 buffalo nickel from change (happened to be a 1917-s)
    but i have also 3 war nickels too. but not 1 v.

7. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I found 8 buffalos 1 indian cent maybe 12 wheats and 2 merury dimes in change

8. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Why keep minting copper cents when it cost more then the face value to do it......let the Zincolns rot away.

9. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

That is great but not really what I was trying to convey. Lots of members bash the mint on this & that but to still find these Old common coins is a testament to our mint & our country.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yeah, imagine what the currently minted coins will look like in 70+ years. They will not look as good as those late 30s and early 40s Jeffersons.

11. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

They may look just fine. How many have you tucked away? A box here, a roll there.
    I know I try to put a few aside each year.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actively retiring everything pre-1950. I have several boxes of 30s and many more of 40s. I was saving 50s but there are just too many of them. I only save the 1950 and any S mints from the 50s now.

13. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

My reply about how many tucked away was referring to modern day mintages. They will look real good years from now in sealed boxes & rolls.

I only retire the low mintage nickels for my addiction. Still can't help keeping those with 50 mil mintages but there old. But over that I have to toss them back unless great condition. Every 2009 of course is kept.

14. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Shucks,

I really only did the thread to tongue in cheek make fun of the fact that no matter what the mint does someone is not happy. HOF coins anyone. Listen to the howls & complaints but not from those who cashed in early....
    I guess the mint hit that series out of the park & good for them.

green18 likes this.
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The zinc pennies do not age well at all. They look "dirty" when they get old while the copper pennies just get dark.

16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

You've only found 12 wheats? I've found hundreds.

Draft saved Draft deleted