UGA token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WildDigger, Apr 9, 2014.

1. WildDigger

WildDigger New Member

I found this token last year while metal detecting. I have shown it to the UGA archives department and neither them or I can find any info on it. I can not find another listed anywhere and really want to know the history and the value it may have. I found this site and was wanting to try here. Thanks for any help.

1922 University Of Georgia Baseball schedule token.
    20140409_105426.jpg 20140409_105434.jpg

Kentucky and Joshua Lemons like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Wow! That's really cool! Have you tried the UGA Athletic Department?

Chris

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

My guess would be - this token would bring a substantial amount of money on eBay. But you have to notify a number of people by postcard that it's coming up. You can also get a free "appraisal" of sorts - list the token with an outrageous HIDDEN reserve, maybe $500. If you get bids, for instance, in the range of $75, $85, $93, $98 - then you know its approximate value. It doesn't sell, but when you re-list, you don't use a hidden reserve, you just start the token at around $75. Some rich old alumnus will buy it, and donate it to the university. Happens all the time.

Remember there's no additional listing fee if an item sells on the re-list, plus your first 50 listings a month are free to begin with, at least mine are. When you re-list, assuming you wish to sell, put it into about 3 categories to get the widest possible exposure. The added cost is minimal.

5. WildDigger

WildDigger New Member

That is a good Idea. And Yes The UGA Archives department checked with the athletic Department and they had no info for us.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Here's a little research. Note that the token says "Remember Costa's," which may have been a grocer or a department store or some other prominent merchant, etc. At the present time, Google shows a Joe Costa in the insurance business (in Athens, under that name) for 70 years. He surely KNOWS every Costa that's ever lived in the area, get him on the phone, email him a picture, ask if the Costa's involved his grandparents or other relatives (and at the same time, the FACT registers that you have the token and might sell it). You can't lose by contacting him, it's the perfect start. Do NOT talk value or price if you get hold of any Costa family member; just bide your time and collect data.

7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

This is dated information, but it gives values for general categories of tokens. Your token would fall under Chapter 54 - Sports, Section A - Sport Schedule Tokens, subsection 3 - Schedule tokens of minor league baseball, college football, basketball, and other (non-football) sports. (I am guessing baseball because of the dates, but I am not a sports person.), subsection a - Pre-1945: $10 -$15.

My reference is from 1992, so I am sure the present value is greater than that listed. For a comparison, current Civil War token values are about 5-10 times greater than those shown in that reference. The green surfaces on your token could be a problem though, and could deflate the value somewhat.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Verdi-Care!

9. Cindy Aaron

Cindy Aaron New Member

I have one as well. Was looking for possible value. I live 5 miles from Athens, I'll see if I cant get an inside contact. I can go in person. I'll save ur post so I can let u know what I find out.

-jeffB and Kentucky like this.
  10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I found this...
    Costa Ice Cream Building (1908-1939)

Now home to the Athens Police Department, the Costa Ice Cream Building was constructed in the early twentieth century by Joseph Costa and family. The Costa family constructed this impressive structure as their factory and headquarters after the rise in popularity of the family’s famous Costa ice cream which they began selling in 1908. The factory produced ice cream for nearly two decades and a visit to this or other retail outlets was a fond memory for Athens residents and students of the University of Georgia long after the factory closed in 1939. The Costa family was highly regarded in Athens and the southeast for their entrepreneurship, and their establishment was credited as “one of the largest and most up-to-date ice cream plants” in the region. By 1939, the Costa Ice Cream Building was closed, but the “magic” Dean William Tate speaks of when referring to the factory and its products lives on in the architectural evidence, photographs, and memories.

For the time frame.
    https://theclio.com/entry/59322

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is a thread from 2014. The member who created the thread is no longer on CoinTalk.

Since 2016

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ahhh kill it:vamp:

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I need a new thread with photos of what we’re talking about.

14. Joshua Lemons

Dang. I really need to watch the dates on these things...lol.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And a new member resuscitated it because she found an identical token, and is hoping in the past eight years someone might have learned something about it. Seems completely legit to me.

By the way, @Cindy Aaron, welcome to CoinTalk! Let us know what you find out...

paddyman98, Joshua Lemons and ddddd like this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

I also think it's perfectly fine to come back to an old thread, especially one about an item that might not be mentioned in any other place, and add more info. It's also ok to mention that it's an old thread as some people who are new to CoinTalk might not be aware that the originators of the thread will likely not reply.

-jeffB and paddyman98 like this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Haha true.
    Could happen.

You guys have enlightened me.

Let's wait and see what happens :watching:

@Cindy Aaron
    Pictures of your token?

ddddd and -jeffB like this.
  18. Joshua Lemons

Exactly, someone dug up an old slab thread that's been quite popular lately too!

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted