U.S. Quarter Dollar - Drummer on back

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DrummerQuarter, Jun 2, 2004.

1. DrummerQuarter

DrummerQuarter New Member

I have a U.S. quarter dollar, it is clearly dated(on the front) 1776 - 1976.

The front of it is normal, besides the fact that it has 2 dates instead of 1. but it gets interesting when you turn it over... it has a man drumming on a drum, with what looks like the statue of liberty flame next to his head. ive never seen a quarter with a drummer on the back of it, most have eagles.

COMPARING to a 1974 quarter:

1. it is a little bit worse condition, but its not terrible. all text is leggible.

2. the heads side is a little bit sideways. its barely noticeable.

3. the text on the back " United States of America Quarter Dollar" is printed in a much larger text on the drummer coin. this text almost completely encircles the icon in the middle.

4. the icon on the back is of a drummer, rather then the eagle. to the left of his head is a flame with stars around it. under this flame it says "E PLURIBUS UNUM" in text so small, its almost ilegible.

what do i got?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cdcda

cdcda New Member

In 1976 the United States Mint commemorated the bicentennial with a change in the design on the Washington Quarter, Kennedy Half Dollar and the Eisenhower Dollar.

Unfortunately, since a large number of individuals saved the quarters in rolls and singles, their value in circulated condition is exactly as it was when they were minted.

ripple and Stevearino like this.
  4. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Almost forget... welcome!

5. GoldEagle

GoldEagle New Member

cdcda. Will you please explain why there is a Bicentennial Dollar, Half-Dollar, and quarter...but there isn't a bicentennial dime, nickel and cent?

Of course, there were dimes, nickels and cents minted in 1976 but those minted for circulation did not note 1776-1976 and did not make any reference to the bicentennial.

Thanks.

6. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

I don't recall any specific reasons for not changing the cent, nickel, and dime reverses. I suspect likely reasons were:

1. There is not as much room on the smaller coins for commemerative designs and a dual date

2. They did not want to "overdo" the bicentennial coins

3. They were able to sell 1975 and 1976 mint and proof sets, because there were 1975 dated cents, nickels, and dimes.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

In the early '70's there was still a lot of animosity between the mint and coin collectors. The mint still blamed collectors for the coin shortage of the mid-'60's. The mint's attitude in those days was that collectors were a nuisance. Congess had a similar attitude and all feared any changes in coin designs. However something dramatic was sought for the bicentennial and Congress wanted a new design for the Ike. John J Pittman who testified before Congress suggested that if it were desired that the American people were to actually see the coin it would have to be a circulating coin. Eventually the mint relented and the idea turned into a three coin set. Designs were solicted in a competition and the Drummer Boy quarter was the winning design which meant it got the spot on the quarter. These coins went into production in mid 1975 so there were no '75 coins of these denominations. The design of the Ike was modified very early on creating type 1 and type 2 issues. All the type 1's were produced in 1975.

The coins was a huge hit with the public. Many of all these were set aside and the numbers of quarters saved were staggering. There is no evidence though that collectors gave any of these coins serious attention until years later. Even today it is still possible to find ultra high grade quarters in the '75 and '76 mint sets. There are some interesting varieties of the quarter including an important DDO Denver mint coin.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Yeah, the bicentennial quarters were hoarded much like the state quarters are being hoarded now. Now, I find a lot of bicentennial quarters popping up in circulation because they made so many, and I think a lot of the ones that were hoarded were returned to circulation once the public realized they were not rare coins.

9. GunLocators

GunLocators New Member

I have atleast a roll of Drummers they are cool.

10. cdcda

cdcda New Member

GoldEage, I think CladKing answered it before I could ;-)

11. cholmes75

cholmes75 New Member

Funny, I can't recall seeing more than one or two Drummer quarters in circulation for years. But I do remember that as a kid in the early '80s I saw them all the time.

12. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Often they make their way into circulation after a collector/hoarder is advised that they are only worth a .25 ;-)

Stevearino likes this.
  13. DrummerQuarter

DrummerQuarter New Member

lol yea thats why mine is now going to find its way back into cirrculation. thanks for the replies. im not really into coin collecting but its an interesting hobby, and now ill look at all my coins before i spend them (incase they are soemthing special).

14. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Watching the coins in our pockets is a very wise activity. 2 of the BIG coins found in circulation

1. Sac-Washington Mule
    2. Cent-Dime Mule

15. GunLocators

GunLocators New Member

Here is a couple 1976 Coins I have nothing special and worth only face value I keep them around since they are interesting.
    [​IMG]

16. buck1000

buck1000 New Member

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

read all the above posts, as they state, a bicentennial quarter, worth 25 cents

18. Thomas45

Thomas45 New Member

I have something at first I thought it was a dime that was bicentennial but when I started looking at it it had a quarter head on it and said quarter dollar on back but small like a dime. What is it?

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Easy. It's called a "necropost".

20. Lydia Howe

Lydia Howe New Member

I have a 1776-1976 quarter that is otherwise normal on the front. I have seen drummer boy backs before. But this one is painted with bright colors, a ring of white stars circle the liberty flame and the words," UNITED STATES OF AMERICA QUARTER DOLLAR" are painted in bright red. If anyone has seen this coin before please let me know.

21. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

@Lydia Howe Various companies plate or colorize coins to sell to the public. They have no real collector value, just a pretty trinket.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted