Tools of the Modern Numismatic Trade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, May 18, 2012.

1. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I honestly don't use my magnifyer. I use a camera.

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Trading for JP Morgan. :)

5. longnine009

I mostly use a X5 glass. I have two X7 triplet
    loupes but I usually prefer a wide glass. If I
    have to squint I start thinking I'm buying hype.

6. Bazz

Bazz Member

I have a small loupe with three lenses but I'll be darned if I've ever been able to use it efficiently. I would go with a wider lense for those more visually challenged such as myself.

7. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello Ruben

That is an incredibly clear glass. How did you find that?

Mandy-may

8. areich

areich America*s Darling

Which books would you recommend for World Coins?

Mandy

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The two most important tools... Your eyes and a fat wallet.

A nice numismatic library, 5x mag, digital scale, and a knowledgeable and honest local dealer can be helpful too.

10. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

I like calipers and a quality scale... maybe I'm just being cynical though.:)

11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I’m surprised no one has taken issue with the OP’s comment, “You should never examine a coin just with the unaided eye”, which I believe is the initial and one of the most important examinations of the coin. This initil eye examination is what drew you to the coin, it’s called “eye appeal”. After the coin is purchased, eye appeal is the most important factor for me, as I’ll probably never or rarely inspect the coin again with a loop. Aside from eye appeal, I find a 5x B&L meets 75% of my needs – I only uses higher magnification for viewing small details. If one were to use only higher magnificant to view coins, it might be likened to missing the forest for the trees.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The one you mention above doesn't indicate it can do oz or troy ounces. True that you can convert grams into both with a calculator or your brain, but often a time saver. I have one similar to this, but different manufacturer name. It also indicates that it has a resolution of .01gram rather than .1 gram ( that is the 300 x.1gram of the one you indicated). That is useful in the tolerances are generally in the ,01gram range. For example most people just say that a common wheat cent ( not steel) weighs 3.11 grams, but it has a tolerance of +/- 0.13grams, so they can be real and weigh from 2.98 grams to 3.24 grams, but generally very close to 3.11 grams unc.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/professional-digital-table-top-scale-500-x-.01-g.html

If you are near a harbor freight store or catalog, I would also recommend a digital caliper. This model is almost a "lend to your bad neighbor" tool as it is cheap and made of composite material and is more accurate than you measuring with a metric ruler and your eye. I do wrap a layer of plastic electrician's tape around the jaws where they might touch the coin, as they will scratch if you drag it across. yes HF tools lack a lot, but I have 3 various measuring devices from them and they are surprisingly accurate. Also very good for measuring suspected coins.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...s/6-inch-composite-digital-caliper-93293.html

a

13. desertgem

Although many do not know, nor want to know what specific gravity is, and the determination can be mathematically challenging, but here is a Sp.Gr. apparatus that is simple and easy to use. It has a sliding scale , so you need not do math. Accuracy to 3 digits. Limit is 30 gram size as is, but with an extra small counter weight ( it is a balance), I am sure you could go to a troy ounce.

http://www.mineralab.com/Hanneman.html

Hey, the OP did say Modern!

14. longnine009

I've heard of collectors using beam scales that are used to
    do bullet re-loads.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Answer kind of depends on what and how much you want to know. Basic starting place is to get the Krause catalogs, aka Standard Catalog of World Coins. There are 5 volumes, each about the size of a big city phone book and each relegated to a century - 1601-1700, 1701-1800, 1801-1900, 1901-2000, and 2001 to date. Then Krause also has a few specialized catalogs like for only gold, Spain & Portugal, Unusual Coins, etc.

But the Krause catalogs, while essential for the world coin collector, are limited to basic information. And just like with US coin books, if you want more specific and specialized information then you have to books dedicated to a single subject matter.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

:(

That is like recommending the Enclycodepia Bittanica for a learnign reference/

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

There are two things with scales.

One is the minimum weight it can measure and the other is how much mass it can measure once your over the minimum weight.

A .1 sensive scale can not measre, for example, 50mg, which is much smaller than any coin.

A Pharmacy scale is by USP standards sensitive to 5mg and 50mg the lowest mesarable mass.

I don't recommend anything less sensitive than 0.01g which is 10mg. That would mean the scale would be acurate +- 10mg in three out of 5 messurments.

Ruben

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

20. desertgem

My Mettler analytic has a resolution of 0.1 mg. ;)

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - I've done a lot of work with scales in Chemistry and Pharmacuetic and there is no way I would trust a $75 scale to measure gold or even dimes.

Look at these and give it some thought

http://www.scalesgalore.com/pohaus.htm#lab

Draft saved Draft deleted