This is the best way to invest in gold

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Actually, its not. Look at other coins available as gold. They are more expensive.

Ruben

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just bought a Mexican 20 peso at spot. Are you saying there are not gold coins produced currently that are available cheaper than a 20% premium? My NN ads sure would suggest differently sir. A 20% premium is $320 over spot for a one ouncer. I have never seen Maple Leafs or AGE's that high of a premium.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

No - I'm saying that a lot of the gold coins I've seen that are gold moderns are a lot more.

5. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Type price points are 20% over spot for 1/20-25 oz, 10-20% for 1/10 oz, 5-10 % for 1/4 oz, <5 for anything greater 1/4 oz.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A week ago thursday at the local coin club meeting, the auction had several US gold pieces 1/4, 1/2. 1 oz. for spot + 4%, but these were collectors selling rather than dealers. I bought a small Franklin mint 12k valley forge medal ( proof like), slightly less than 1/20 oz for $55, and it was $75 gold. No one wanted it as it was not a coin. Small clubs are interesting.

Jim

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

:)

We don't have those in Brooklyn

8. Danr

Danr Numismatist

9. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Economical Gold Coins

I suspect that if you placed a "want to buy" ad in the CoinTalk classified section, there probably are numerous individuals on this site that would ship .999 Gold uncirculated "moderns" to your home at a lesser premium. I may be missing something, but I've generally acquired/delivered physical modern Gold for less than the stated premium. JMHO :thumb:

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

ok

11. fatima

fatima Junior Member

These are numismatic coins and those are numismatic premiums. It the point is just buying physical gold coins then stick to bullion coins. A 1 ounce gold Gold Krugerrand has a 3.3% premium at Ampex, and even a AGE is 3.7%.

Numismatic coins may beat bullion coins in the long run or may not. It's a completely different calculation with different considerations. I see these coins appealing to the Zionist coin collector, but for the most part, I don't think that premium will hold if you were to sell them at most local coin shows. (if you could find a buyer)

12. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

This may be the most cost effective way to profit from the price moves in gold by bypassing the buy/sell spread, but it undermines the purpose of investing in gold which is to own a finite resource that cannot be devalued or erased by a few keystrokes on a computer. To say best is a bit vague. It really depends what you want out of it. Also, by putting your money into derivative vehicles instead of the actual metal, you are letting Wall St. reinvest your money how they see fit, and if they have a vested interest in keeping gold prices down then you would actually be contributing to that end.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wonder if some collectors are getting cold feet when it comes to holding onto gold? What do you think, is it safe to buy gold still or has it become riskier than ever?

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What timeframe? That is key. Are you a holder for 30+ years come heck or high water? Gold is fine then. Are you betting little Susie's college tuition money needed in 3 years? Gold might be too risky then.

Timeframe usually is key in evaluating risks. Overall, I buy a little gold because I like the coin. If it were to soften to say below $1200, I might look at a few ounces here and there to throw on the pile, but still of coins I like.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted