this is outrageous-2012-s american silver eagle set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:eek:There only 2 big money sets sell that I have seen on H.A.Stacks etc of any of the State Terr and now the Parks.
    1 Was a Pcgs set of 50PR-70 DCam 1999-S Silver.
    1 1st Set cover from the mint+USPS 1999-2009P+D
    they were not to much ether

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Again, the mint produces collectibles to sell, not for investment purposes or at least they don't care if the products goes up in value or drops. If you buy their products as investments, you have just as good a chance of collecting beanie babies or furbies as a potential investment.

Wrong again, people like me collect. If it goes up in value, awesome but then again, I don't sell my coins, never have, never plan to. So the value they gain is irrelevant. All my coins can be worth nothing and I'd still be happy with them but you seem to quickly speak for everyone, which I wouldn't suggest doing.

I invest in things that actually make me money to retire on, which doesn't include coins. ;)

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of people the OP does not speak for :thumb:

5. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

This is 1 of the interesting things about coin collecting. I am definitely a collector and as rodeoclown said, the value of the coin is the least important factor for me. There are many who can't understand this.

Likewise, I have difficulty understanding how somebody can have such an obsession with the value of a coin, given all of the other factors that collectors find interesting.

Neither side is wise and neither side is foolish.

Likewise, I think NASCAR is pretty silly. Other people love it.

Again, neither side is right and neither side is wrong.

People like what they like and should be allowed that luxury.

6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

So... you think driving a fast car in one continuous left turn is silly? No way, lol.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I would be surprised if a Reverse Proof were offered as a solitary coin.

8. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I don't know alot about paper money other than how to spend it, but the Making American History set production cannot be truly unlimted because eventually the BEP will use all available serial numbers. Starting the serial with 150 leaves only 5 digits left, plus the letter suffix, plus possibly the district letter (not sure if you can have a Dallas note and a San Fran note with the same numerical part of the serial number) so at the most there can only be about 31 million sets. They really shot themselves in the foot with this one by starting out all serials with 150 as they limited the amount of sets in their 'unlimited' production run to 31 million. Maybe they'll have to substitute $10 bills then...

9. 19Lyds

It's silly for some folks who are totally unaware of the planning and strategies that are in constant use. Not to mention mechanical failures and dumb moves by other drivers.

If only it were as simple as getting a fast car, being in the lead and driving for the win.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

All of that may be true, but all I see is cars going around in a circle. Might as well watch the horses race on a merry go round.
    To each his own.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You've just described an everyday occurrence on the LIE.......

12. BUncirculated

I'll second that :thumb:

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You forgot the part where everyone else is trying to cut you off, and nobody ever signals.

We were talking about our commutes, right?

14. BUncirculated

Uhmmm! I believe jloring is talking about NASCAR :thumb:

15. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Oh well. I don't have any sympathy for people who bought coins that were priced at 2.5x melt value, assuming they would be able to flip them for a substantial profit, and then realizing the ginormous profits they were hoping for might fail to materialize. If there was zero risk, there'd also likely be zero profit...

These could go the way of the ATB pucks. Pay $205 + shipping and sell them for melt (currently $140.35). That's a 31.5% loss. These will never go all the way down to melt, but depending on many factors, I could see them sellling for as low as $100 after they're released.

The one thing I'd like to see that would probably be the best possible compromise for the Mint, collectors and investors, is if the Mint held off on releasing any new ASE reverse proofs from the SF Mint until next year. At least then these would be the only ones from 2012.

16. 19Lyds

No doubt, this is what some folks see.

I see tire changers not being able to find the lug studs and botching the pit stop.
    I see fuel cans fumbled botching the pit stop.
    I see drivers missing their pits altogether.
    I see penalties awarded for speeding in the pits.
    I see cut tires on the track causing immediate pit stops which ultimately affect the outcome of the race.
    I see seemingly fast cars with talented drivers suffering transmission problems.
    I see drivers in last place patiently waiting for the right moment to ultimately end up in second or third.

I DO NOT see Tom Cruise passing cars at will simply because he figured out where the accelerator was and he's decided that he's going to win.

As for the original post?

Some folks see a loser because the coins in the set will not be "exclusive" to the set!

I see a Reverse Proof coin of which only two others with that finish exist.
    I see the return of the S Mint Marked Proof coins.
    I see a 251,000 mintage for the set which means that, at this point in time, the Reverse Proof will have a slightly larger mintage than the 2006 Reverse Proof (which has retained a somewhat higher value than its original issue price)
    I see, and this is important, I see the opportunity to purchase this set at original issue price because IF the price on the aftermarket goes up a mear $50,

Then I'll see......................ME kicking myself in the butt for not ordering at least one for my collection because after all is said and done, I'm just a collector.

17. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I have infinitely more respect for those people who are "just collectors" than those who are "just investors" in this hobby.

18. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Just my two cents to add. I'm also "just a collector" so if the coins don't increase in value I'm fine with that. I'm in it for the enjoyment of holding a piece of art, well not always art ;), in the palm of my hand. For people who are buying coins as investment vehicles that's fine too but just like any other "investement" there's no guarantee that it will increase in value.

19. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/exclusive-proof-1-no-longer-exclusive-to-san-/

To the collectors who don't care about the monetary value of their coins... It must be nice. To the flippers who thought this was money in the bank... It must hurt. I ordered 7 sets, all for me, PCGS & my safe deposit box. Yeah I like ASE's; no I don't have or need them all. Yeah I like money; no I don't plan on seeing any from this set. All things aside, IMHO, pretty shady what the US mint has pulled off here. It doesn't upset me too much and I would never order 7 sets and then cancel them just because they offer more of one coin for people to buy. It does seem like the US mint was playing "prison rules" basketball on this one though. So shady, yes; something to cry tears over, no.

My 2c
    Erik

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Chances are the OP is more of a wannabe dealer than anything else. Maybe he does collect, but coming here to whine over something that was never guaranteed, then insulting others for not agreeing with him speaks volumes about his "investment" mindset.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Meanwhile, back in Mudville, folks is neglecting the 'burnished' coin...........

Draft saved Draft deleted