thinking about buying my first pre-1933 gold

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jlogan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

anyone know of any i could get for under $300.00?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

My favorites for years have been $10 Gold Indians, however, those won't be in your price range.

My number two, sticking with the Indian theme, are the $2.5 and $5 Indians.
    I imagine you can get an AU $2.5 Gold Indian piece in your price range. I know I paid in the $250-$275 range for the ones I had. I will give you fair warning, they are ridiculously hard to grade, and I would recommend you getting one already slabbed.

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

For under $300 you can buy some very decent 2.5 libertys or you could buy 2 gold dollars or for about $375 you can buy a nice $5 I'm talking common date xf or better problem free coins

5. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

I am assuming these were not graded and if they were, they were "AU Details," yes? Or they were bought many many moons ago?

6. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I picked up a 2.5 Indian PCGS AU55 for $275 a few weeks ago. You just need to look around at shows or local dealers. Hard to find online. If you just want one to have I'd find a local dealer and get one in VF-XF raw and you can easily pick those up for $225-250.

I just found this. If you can do it thru APMEX you should easily be able to do it at a show or local

http://www.apmex.com/product/4024/2-50-indian-gold-quarter-eagle-extra-fine

7. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

I bought a really sweet 1851 gold dollar - AU 55 with CAC certification recently for under$300. Of course there isn't a heck of a lot of gold there. But nice anyway.

8. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

thanks for the information everyone. my favorites are indian head $10 and st.Gaudens $20, but both are out of my price range :( i think i want to get an indian head $2.5 or $5, will go to the dealer next weekend and see what they have.

9. fiatfiasco

A friendly heads up. And its 100% sincere. My first gold purchase was made with similar thought processes. Just as a father would tell another man without children "trust me, you have to experience it to explain it", in relating it to silver, if you ever got carried away with silver, its 50x worse with gold (about 60x now). Have fun. Buy smart.

10. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

That's so funny it's true. My first gold coin was a $5 Indian slabbed. It almost killed me to spend $475 on a coin. Within the week I owned a $10 and $20. It gets almost too easy to drop $2K without thought and I laugh how hard that $475 coin was. Now I've got enough with duplicates and triplicates that a friend inquired and I just sold him a $20 because he's never bought a gold coin, just ASEs. He's loving the history of them. I may have a customer if I sell more. I don't know what I like more, the gold coin or stack of 100's to apply to something else.

11. fiatfiasco

Wow. I almost thought I had typed your entire response up until the part about "selling one." That first one was like a hurdle or line to cross, and also a slabbed $5 Indian. And before I bought it, I had to research it to death. Many books. I wish I had the forums before then. The funny part about gold is that I cannot see an end in sight.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

i dont have a job so my money would run out before i could get too carried away ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted