The one hand tied behind your back challenge

Discussion in 'Contests' started by wiggam007, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

can i trade a stack of 2006 $100 bills for a complete set of walking halves? lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

See the whole, "should be in the spirit of the contest" deal and I think you will find your answer ;)

4. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Can I participate wiggam?

5. wiggam007

Of course, it is open to anyone. Just post what set you are working on and any new additions you make!

6. TypicalCreepahx

Yay! :D
    I want to complete the Mercury dime set, getting an album within this week so hopefully I can post a pic! :DDD

7. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

are there 40 or more peace dollars? i know where i can get a complete set without buying

8. wiggam007

There are not 40 peace dollars so it would not be eligible.

Can't wait to see your book and how your collection progresses TC!

9. TypicalCreepahx

Yes :D I am quite excited. Some people are only in this for the prize, which is a shame because the fun of completing a set is WAYYYYYY greater

wiggam007 likes this.
  10. wiggam007

I agree. Some might think that it is silly because the prize is far undervalued for the work that would have to be done to complete this, but to me it is just an added little bonus and something to think about when you are done with the "easy" coins in your set and are trying to get hard ones. The whole point was to challenge people to do something they wouldn't normally do/to think outside the box about collections. Seems like other people would just like to think about getting around the rules and purpose of it :S

11. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

can i do a no mint marks set of halves from 1938-1978? or does it have to include mintmarks?

12. TypicalCreepahx

Got my album yesterday from a guy on craigslist. I ended up buying 23 albums for 18 dollars :) not too shabby. I am going to try to fill this Washington quarter album. :) since I already had a mercury dime set.

Also you know what's surprising? I don't even own ONE. Washington silver quarter. Even though its like the most common in scrap bins

Attached Files:

wiggam007 likes this.
  13. wiggam007

Haha, well you have to start somewhere! Can't wait to hear some stories about how you acquire them!

14. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

okay im going to do a year set (no mintmarks) of lincoln cents from 1937-1980.
    is this eligible? it has more than 40 coins and starts before 1938

15. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I know it doesn't qualify, but wanted to show you my faceless set. Every coin was face value or less. Many came from contests from here. I started this in o8 and it moved along steadily until 2010 or so. Slowly creeping closer. The morgan/peace I thought would be last.

Attached Files:

largecent37 and wiggam007 like this.
  16. wiggam007

That is very cool! That is what I was doing with my 7070, filling it with coins from contests and writing in who I received them from, but it will be a long while before I would be able to fill that whole thing XD

17. wiggam007

Dude....

You aren't even trying to get with the spirit of the contest which is the whole point of it. And considering how much you have been trying to bend the rules, even if you decided to actually do a collection like this, I wouldn't believe that you were actually acquiring the coins through the channels specified in the contest. You have burned up any goodwill that you had.

jon12 likes this.
  18. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

the thing about bending the rules was all a joke. i actually wasnt sure if there were 4o peace dollars or not. and i can tell you exactly where i will get all the coins for this set. i just know there are very few "s" mint coins from my scource

19. wiggam007

You still don't seem to understand. Look to my first response to you in this thread. There is a spirit behind this contest of trying to complete a set using difficult means. And I wanted to encourage people to choose sets outside of the "normal" ones that might be easier than the regular sets to complete but would still be a challenge. But the sets you have suggested are only sets by the virtue of the fact that they fit within the formal rules of the contest (but are outside the spirit of the contest rule).

My point is that even if you decided to switch to a set within the rules, say you said you were going to complete a full set of Lincoln wheat cents, I have no faith that you would comply with the other rules of the contest considering how far you have gone to stretch them. At this point, please just move on and let the people who do want to stick to the spirit of the contest try and complete their sets.

20. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

-.-

21. Hallingood

Hallingood Member

I would like to play along. I would like to fill out a Whitman 9102 album. While this would fall under the rules, I know this would be bordering on the way too easy side. So to make this more difficult, I do this through coin roll hunting until I have finished the Jefferson's and then at that time work on any remaining buffalo's. I am working under the assumption that I might get some buffalo's coin roll hunting. I have never done coin roll hunting so I do not know how easy or hard this would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted