The Honor Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by cman, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

grandpa.jpg mma1.jpg

The first picture is of my late grandfather, Louis P. Bettencourt Jr. he was a Construction Mechanic-Petty Officer Third Class (CM-3) in the Korean war as a Sea Bee. He sailed across the International Date line, and therefore recieved the Order of the Golden Dragon.
    The second picture is my appointment certificate to the Mass. Maritime Academy in Buzzards Bay MA. its not quite military, but its as close as you can possibly get without having to commit to service.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

First, my father: SSgt. USAAF, 9th Air Corps, 344th Bomb Group, 496th Squadron. (B-26 Tail Gunner)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My father in law: Corporal, USMC, L Company, 3'd Battalion, 22nd Marines, 6th Division.(WIA Okinawa, 5-16-44)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Grandfather in law: USMC, 2nd Divison, AEF (WW I)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. scouter35

scouter35 New Member

I would like to honor my grandfather, who served in WWII. I have no pictures, but... Anyway, if swish wins, I am well under 18.:D

5. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

I would like to whole heartedly honor my father. He was a WWII and Vietnam Veteran. In WWII He fought in many of the "Island Hopping" battles significantly Iwo Jima. There he had seen the deaths of many on each side of the bullets. When he fought in 'Nam, His whole infantry unit was killed save three men including himself. When he made it back to safety, he was notified there was a grave dug and a gravestone in his name because they thought there were no survivors. Though my father didn't care much for me and my 7 siblings, I can't blame him because he had gotten PTSD. He later died before he could meet my son two months later. The cause was cancer.
    Rest In Peace George Morris

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Honor

This is brother Mike Chandler served in Korea and Viet Nam.

Attached Files:

7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Honor

This is brother Ted Chandler, served in Korea.

Attached Files:

8. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

9. flyers10

10. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

250px-Alaskan_Air_Command.png elmendorf,alaska AFG-061228-004.jpg american-flag.gif

11. flyers10

Oops..not even close..I saw the huts for the aircraft and snow. Looked like a base I grew up near.

12. cman

cman Junior Member

I am glad there are so many people that honor their family members and loved ones! Keep these up people!

13. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

I'm gonna try to get mine up tommorrow night

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just a few pics to honor our men and women of the armed forces. I picked these up today at a local show.......

IMG_2145-horz.jpg

IMG_2150-horz.jpg

IMG_2153-horz.jpg

15. cman

cman Junior Member

16. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

I have 3 people I would like to honor.

Nevada National Guard Major Heath Kelly, 35
    Nevada National Guard Sgt 1st Class Miranda McElhiney, 31
    Nevada National Guard Sgt 1st Class Christian Riege, 38

All were close friends, due to my Father working along side them in the military. They were gunned down in Carson City at the Ihop on September 6, 2011.

Here is a little thing I made, while sitting at the JFHQ in Carson, waiting for the services to take place.
    NEVER.jpg

To all Current, and Former service members, I want to tell you THANK YOU. From one Military family to another. What you all endure on a daily basis goes ABOVE what anyone could do. You are all the reason that we are here today. And one day, I will be along side you all, my personal heros.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
    who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier,
    who salutes the flag,
    who serves under the flag,
    and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    who allows the protester to burn the flag."
    ~Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My father, who served in the army and fought in the South Pacific during WWII. Both of my grandfathers, who also served in the army and fought in WWI. And my wife's Dad, my father-in-law, who served in the Coast Guard and drove landing craft at Guadalcanal.

18. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

usa veterans.jpg armyd1.jpg

19. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

There are three people of whom I'm related to I would like to honor.

First is my Great Grandpa Hubert Rexrode. In World War II help landed on the beaches of Peleliu, a island in sounth Pacific. He survived through days and days of intense fighting on the island. Somewhere in our family there is a bayonet which he took from a Japanese soldier he shot. I always wish I could find a picture of him on the Island.

Second person I would like to honor is my Great Grandpa Andrew Green. During World War II he landed near the Beaches of Normandy during the D-Day invasion. He always said that his mortar shells were still on that beach where he dropped them and ran like ****. Him and his buddy were storming a MG nest, as they were running toward it he seen his buddy get chopped half in two by the MG42. He continued fighting all the way to Belguim, where was behind a tree and a shell hit the tree and blew down through his arm.

This two honorable men who fought and serve for this county has never been honored. No one has said thank you or anything to them. When they went back home nobody cared what they did or who they were. My great grandpa Green grew crops with a horse and plow every day just so his family could have bread on the table. He passed away not too long ago, he was born in 1911 and would have been a hundred last year. He died from cancer. My great grandpa Rexrode worked in a slaughter house and delivered milk. He passed away some time before I was born because the doctors gave him the wrong medications. Some way for a honorable man who fought on Peleliu and killed other men and fought for his country to die ain't it?

Grandpa Green and Grandpa Hub, tonight I honor you and salute you, for which no other man has done before. Thank you. I would also like you to honor them with me, because I think they really deserve it.

One more man I want to honor is my Grandpa. He failed high school and went into the Army at 17. He was a radio and telegraph operater. He was stationed in west Germany and seen all that went on over there. He meet a Sargent over there in a train station who told him in World War II went he was there that there were bombs going off everywhere and soldiers shooting. He also interceted the Cuba Missle Crisis on the radio and thought that was it, that it was all over. He asked his Sarg. how long it would take one of the missles to reach there. He said"Oh, only about 20 seconds" my grandpa then said "Don't even bother waking me up".

My Grandpa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish to honor these three men and hope you do the same. Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted